1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Backfire when building Boost??

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by DartSwanger, Jun 2, 2006.

1. DartSwanger

My boss has a '94 Miata that is supercharged. As soon as the car starts building some boost it starts backfiring. Out of boost the car runs fine. I pulled the plugs and they look good. Any ideas on where to go from here. I was thinking something could be wrong with the mass air flow sensor?

2. silverbullet

Generally speaking it sounds like it could be a "lean pop". If the mass air is not registering the extra air going in and not compensating by adding fuel it would make sense. Specific to the Miata though, I have no idea.

3. mootang

could it be the spark getting blown out and therefore causing the fuel to ignite in the exhaust?

4. DartSwanger

I am thinking along those lines, something is not letting it get the extra fuel it needs. That's why I thought it was the MAF or fuel regulator. I guess I need to somehow check the fuel pressure. I was also thinking about a weak spark as well. All these need to be addressed at this point.