1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Almost done! TURBO 03 COBRA

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by TWEAKED03, Nov 11, 2008.

1. TWEAKED03

I have been busy at work and been working on some friends cars so I have not had alot of time on to work on mine. But here is the progress so far. The kit is done aside from redoing the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. I am working on fuel system stuff next. I will be running 75lb injectors,gt pumps,8an feed, big rails and I am converting the return style with a aeromotive regulator and 6an return line. I will be modifying the stock fuel hat with 2 3/8 stainless lines coming out to 6an fittings and tapping it for the return. The stock cobra hat has a one power and ground so i talked to a supra buddy of mine who builts sick supras. They add pumps to the stock setups. he said I could just ground the pumps to the fuel hat and use the ground wire as a second power wire so I could run 2 fdpms. I will be murdering out the turbo piping,turbo housing,intake,tb,valve covers and timing cover. hope you like the pics! In case you are wondering I have about 3k in the build including the 1k in front suspension.

some of the new setup PT76GTS!

up pipe

making adjustments

shot of where the tial 44mm will sit and the one piece intercooler pipe. {NO the blue coupler is not happening! it will be black!}

the money shot!

NEW PHOTOS!!!

driveside shot/crossoverpipe

under transmission

passenger side shot with crossover joint

undercar shot

mounted tial 44mm wastegate

start of the 4' downpipe

UPDATE!!

uppipe finished

dp continued

dp is tucked up higher then the mufflers

front view

custom tb 3' to 4.5' oval {it will be polished}

UPDATED PHOTOS!!

2 1/2 inches of ground clearance might have to raise it up alittle

Alittle side shot!! I know no center caps........cant decide on svt black cap or chrome caps.

my stainless works 3' catback! 4' tips oh and my 315/35r17's

what the cockpit looks like now.

NEED TO MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS!! not very clean.. needs to be tucked up higher!

One of my future mods with consist of redoing the charge pipe from the intercooler to the tb with 4'.

2. ultraspeed

Please post pics of the wiring u do on the pumps.. i orderd fore precision hat and fore rails with 2 GSS342 pumps as well.. But i was told you dont need to run fpdms with a return style setup.. also what regulator u running? whats the part number thanks.. please get me some pics lol.. also is that a custom kit u made or is it hellion kit? looks good

3. jmstekguy

looks good!

4. TWEAKED03

i will post pics when I get that far. I ordered fuel rail stock from ross machine racing {8an}. I ordered 4ft and it was $44.00. I have a friend who has the injector drill bit. BAM!! I will check on the fdpm deal. I could have swore you still have to run them. Im gonna run a 13101 aeromotive reg unless I come across a weldon for a good price. The kit is custom based from a hellion kit with all the upgrades people are doing now to make big numbers.

5. BS-90-GT

That's a pretty SICK ride. :doh: Crap that reminds me I guess I need to update my build post...lol

6. f3boostboy

you don't need the fpdm. Just use relays. The pumps will get constant voltage.

7. tomyb1976

It looks really nice.I like it a lot.Tom

8. chameleonstang

nice looking build. great fabrication skills

9. TWEAKED03

thank you. All the welding was done by a good friend of mine. He is a fabricator by trade. I would cut and mark the pipes then have him weld it up. he fabbed up the oval pipe to the tb. He has a 86 300zx with a 2jz in it. :chacha:

10. BOSS 32V

what size is your up pipe from the merge to turbo?

11. TWEAKED03

3'

12. TTBlacksunshine

Looks good, It should put out some good numbers :2thumbs: :welder:

13. Saul

14. GOTZ

Also, in the other 2 pics can you give some information about the larger pipe? It looks like you stepped up to a larger pipe (3 1/2"?) and made a flange for a MAF meter. Any reason why you necked the piping back down after the MAF?

Thanks! :D
    [/quote]

I was wondering the same thing!

15. TWEAKED03

its a old school hks blow off valve. I bought it from a supra builder buddy of mine for $50.00. He said it would easliy handle the power I was looking for without any problems. Guy builts 1600whp supras so I took his word for it.

People are learning alot about the turbo cobras in the last year. I orginally had the turbo kit setup like a draw thru until I decided to change because people were having alot of maf wash problems causing the car to stall. When I decide to go to blow thru I also decide to change to a tuner that only does blowthru cobras and specializes in them {hpp racing}. I called and told them I will set it up the way he wants it setup. He asked all the dimesions on the piping and told me to run the sct3000 maf and to have a minumin of 3 inches of 3 1/2 or 4' on either side of the maf for the maf signal {tuner talk}. He said the longer the better so I made it 8' before and after. I welded everything to eliminate couplers. Seems alot of people over 20psi have problems with couplers coming off. Was not until afew weeks ago a friend I have with a turbo cobra upgraded to 3 1/2 outlet on the intercooler and 3 1/2 up to the tb. He said his IATS dropped a good bit and picked up alittle power with less chance of detatnation.

16. blk mk8

that looks almost i dentical to a car we did at my old job except it was a mach1 and with long tubes. same merge in same spot, same turbo placement and same routing of pipes.. pretty scary how close it looks..how long did it take to build the hot side and cold side?

17. TWEAKED03

Sounds like yall did the same thing I did.... built a similiar kit to this one for 1/2 the cost with all the upgrades :chacha:

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/data.03cobra.html

I would say total time actually doing both sides would be 3-4 days. but its been span over 5 months due to changes and shopping for parts.

18. 99TTGT

look's really good!

19. SOLIDSNAK3

what will you doing for your pcv?

20. TWEAKED03

I will probably run a catch can setup like this but with a breather.

[​IMG]#ad