1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

The key to a successfully turbocharging a kohler or briggs engine

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by jake318, Jul 6, 2013.

1. jake318

To successfully Turbocharge a Kohler or Briggs engine is very simple .Because of the fact both KOHLER AND BRIGGS & STRATTON ARE MADE WITH LOW GRADE METAL, YOU MUST INSTALL FORGED CONECTING RODS AND FORGED PISTONS.

LUCKILY, THEY COST LESS THAN MOTORCYCLE /AUTO ENGINE PARTS . ( WHY? GOT ME?) YOU CAN PURCHASE FORGED PISTONS (225$ PAIR) AND FORGED CONNECTING RODS (225$ PAIR) AT MIDWEST SUPERCUB FOR KOHLER PARTS ( http://WWW.MIDWESTSUPERCUB.NET) AND FOR BRIGGS & STRATTON PARTS (http://WWW.PERFORMANCEVTWINS.COM )

THE FACT THAT KOHLER AND BRIGGS ENGINES ARE MADE OF LOW GRADE METAL IS THE REASON THEY ARE SO INEXPENSIVE .
    A 1000cc KOHLER OR BRIGGS V-TWIN COST ROUGHLY 1500$ . TO BUY A 1000cc Honda, Kawasaki,or Harley cost roughly 8000$

Ridley motorcycles used the 750cc Kohler V-Twin in there production motorcycles. The Kohler/Briggs engine lasts about 15,000-20,000 miles then you need to replace cylinders , connecting rods and cylinders. But it cost only a fraction of what a Honda , Kawasaki costs to replace same parts.( yes, I know motorcycle engines last even longer than automobile engines now if valves are adjusted regularly and properly maintained. WHY???? motorcycles are VERY over engineered. Most likely for racing. But this is why motorcycles cost SO much more than in the past .

PS If Forged Pistons/Con Rods are installed in KOHLER or BRIGGS engine after 15,000-20,000 miles you will still have to replace worn cylinder but the forged pistons and forged con rods do not have to be replaced for 100,000 miles. EVEN IF YOU ADDED TURBOCHARGING .

iTS A MYTH THAT ADDED POWER DECRESSES ENGINE LIFE IF ENGINE IS 1. ENGINE IS KEPT WITHIN DESIGNED RPM 2. PROPERLY LUBRICATED 3. KEPT WITHIN DESIGNED TEMPERATURE RANGE

2. jake318

This is a Ridley motorcycle . I own this model (have motorcycle collection of 15 various bikes, Sportbikes Harleys ect)The Ridley is powered by a CH750 Kohler V-Twin engine . I am installing Forged pistons ,connecting rods,stroker crank raising displacement to 1000cc , and adding IHI turbocharger . Raising HP from 40 to 80. Could increase to 100+ but deceided to keep hp to 80 for the fact the Ridley is a Cruiser and has CVT transmission.

I like/ride all brands but the hard core Harley riders really hate when Beaten by a Kohler/Briggs & Statton engined motorcycle.
    ( also have a Harley Electra Glide powered by Turbocharged 90 degree, 1000cc liquid cooled Briggs & Statton making roughly 90-100hp)

RIDLEY MOTORCYCLE.jpg #ad

3. jake318

Ridley motorcycles intake and exhaust are on the same ( left side) IHI turbocharger fits like a glove on these bikes.

4. jake318

Pic of liquid cooled, 90 degree V-twin 1000cc Briggs& Statton engine. Cost 1500$ vs Harley 8000$ and runs smoother

BRIGGS AND STRATTON LIQUID COOLED 1000cc v-twin.jpg #ad

Greathope likes this.
  5. jake318

pic of 1000cc, Turbocharged, air cooled , 90 degree, V-Twin. NOT MY BUILD .No head work done 40hp to 60 hp

1000cc turbo Kohler bolt on 60hp pic 2.jpg #ad

6. jake318

670cc Turbocharged ,Heavily worked heads ect, Briggs V-twin drag racer . 200HP

670cc MOWER ENGINED DRAG BIKE.jpg #ad

7. Mnlx

Are the carb vents boost referenced in the pic?

Edit: I see the wg actuator, and the open vent tube now.

8. StabbinStevem

That is really cool. I ride also and have never seen Briggs or Kohler V-twins on Road Bikes.

9. afterfire

I highly doubt a yamha or kaw 1000cc engine costs 8 grand when you can buy the whole damn bike for 11,000

10. quick85vet

sweet rides!

11. Drac0nic

12. 91turboterror

What if you sleeve the cylinder bore to begin with I'm sure the high grade sleeves would give more service life if sleeves are available.

13. jake318

Hello all , sorryDELAY, spine collaped in on itself. Walking is a MAYBE situation day to day. ANYHOW ,Aftrelife let me clarify putting a Aircooled 993cc Briggs Stratton with high performance kit ( forged pistons/rods/worked heads ect ect. NON TURBO produces 70 hp. BTW when you take shouds off a briggs v-twin it looks like it was made in the 1930s. A REPLICA 1930s Harley Knucklehead cost 8000-9000$

BRIGGS/KOHLER V-Twins design is the SAME as a Chevy or ford 305/302 V-8 with 2 cylinders cut off. BUT.... the metal quality in a Briggs/Kohler is so low grade the MAXIUMUM Horsepower you can get out of them is roughly 125HP. Any more the block will flex and eventually crack.
    The Suprising thing is , at 125hp it doesn't lower engine longevity . They wear out at roughly 20,000/25, 000 miles the SAME as stock unit. Actually a bit longer than stock as forged pistons/rods out last stock units. ITS ALL ABOUT RPM ,SUFFICENT COOLING AND LUBRICATION . Especially RPM
    TURBOCHARGED Briggs/kohler engines run 2x as long being you get SAME Horsepower at 1/2 the RPM. Problem is (as you all here know ) people assume turbocharging blows up engines. When the REAL problem with turbos is poor installation/short cuts/.

PS when the block/cylinders do wear out in a briggs/Kohler engine the block is inexpensive modular type AND you can re use the forged internals.

14. jake318

Why use a Briggs/Kohler? NO OTHER COMPANY MAKES A UNDER SQUARE LONG STROKE ENGINE ANYMORE. Long stroke, undersquare engines are the best deign for touring motorcycles. MUCH more mechanical torque , and especially if turbocharged , a very linear power curve .

CORRECTION .... The new inline 6 BMW k1600 touring bike has unersquare combustion and long stroke engine .

15. Greathope

How to order the turbo charger fot briggs 40 hp

16. Bucky

My son is racing jr dragsters. In the 7.90 class, they are allowed only the single cylinder 8 hp briggs design. But everyone uses a billet block and head with a nice aluminum rod and piston and a forged crank. They can only go 7.90 seconds in the 1/8 mile. You can get into this class at 10 years old.
    Man would it be fun to try a turbo on one! They have an outlaw class that goes 330 ft only. But no class for power adders. I think that would be a complete riot! Being that the non turbo'ed ones idle at 4500 rpm and make power at 8000 rpm, I don't know if spooling would be any big issue. Sure would be fun while it lasted.

17. gruntguru

Yeah - and they make about 200 hp NA - no need to turbo (unless you need silly hp).