1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Aussie LS1 Rodeo/Isuzu build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by allmtr, Mar 6, 2008.

1. allmtr

Hey guys,

History: I have built (and half built) a few cars over the past few years including a NA FWD Honda (hence the username) which was the first NA FWD in Australia to run a 12 second pass. Over the years since I have half built a few projects but lost motivation due to the projects not being the "ultimate"

So I have decided to build my version of the ultimate.

WARNING: This will be a 2 to 3 year build as I have limited finances :(

Base is a Holden Rodeo cab chassis. It was dropped off the other day and is in sound condition. I also picked up a 5.o litre ford falcon for a couple of hundred dollars. The motor has been pulled and the car is being taken away tomorow. I've borrowed a powerglide case off a mate to dummy the drivetrain up with.

I'm going to move the cab back three inches on the chassis and recess the firewall 6 to 8 inches.

I've spoken to Dave a Majestic in regards to a S480 for it and am trying to get the finances together for it.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/1171/asdeliveredpq2.jpg

5litremotor.JPG #ad

2. 91foxj

Re: Aussie 5.o litre Rodeo build

sleeper build ?

3. TK

Good plan chuck, but when did this start?

Ya gonna fineesh eet?

Dya want a pair of T3's?, or you going GT42 single?

I've got a surplus set of old crane rollers laying around, I'll find em & put them off to the side for you, I think I've got guide plates & posilocks for them as well, but I'm not sure.

4. allmtr

Bit of an update:

Have bought a better condition ute and am going with an Ls1 motor. Have always had this thing about running 10 second 1/4's for a $10,000 outlay and this is where this project is heading.

Costs so far:
    $400 Rodeo (minus motor/box/tray)
    $1200 2005 model LS1 with about 30k miles on it
    $725 Camaro sump
    $50 Th350
    $250 Bosch 044 pump
    $45 Surge tank

2670 so far

It's going to be a real balancing act in regards to new/used/reconditioned parts as I don't want this to be an unreliable POS. At least I will have a low milage motor and a rebuilt trans. Once I have run the 10, I will start spending some money and developing the car.

Car is at a mate's workshop where he/we will be fitting the motor/box. I'm a bit handicapped at the moment as I have shattered my right shoulder so need all the help I can get :)

Motor/box should be in and mounted later this week

Also changing over to a Borg Warner diff out of a Holden VL Commodore. With this diff conversion, I should be able to just use a shortened VN Commodore tailshaft. Trying to use as many factory bits as possible to keep costs down.

Got some HSV headers the other day as I really didnt want to use factory cast headers due to their weight.

http://img34.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10for101.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10for102.jpg

Oh and yes the signwriting will be staying to add to the sleeper effect. In fact, I'd like to get one of those dummying blocks to put in the tray to look like a real motor for added kill effect.

5. Muncha81

Re: Aussie LS1 Rodeo build

Looking good, will be a nice sleeper when done. Let me know if you need any parts and i will see what i can get them for.

Needs more GT47.

6. allmtr

7. Muncha81

So whats the plan? Get it running then gas it? :2thumbs:

Will you be adding turbo/turbos later down the track?

How much do you think it will weigh when done?

8. allmtr

Yeah, hoping to get it done for 9k and leave 1k for nitrous

After it's done a 10, I'll be looking at maybe going a rear mount single.

I'm hoping for 1400 with me in it.

Radiator, auto cooler, 3000cfm thermo and auto cooler fan totalled $60
    Diff and tailshaft $60

Grand total: $2790

9. TK

Chucks back at it!

Good stuff, as usual just sing out if I can help at all.

This'd go close on a 10 on a stock tuned motor, add cam & springs & you shouldn't need gas.

10. allmtr

Maybe....depends mainly on two things. How close it is to 10k when it's running and how much it ends up weighing. "Uncle" went 11.20 at factory SS ute weight so....who knows. Time will tell. I would MUCH rather do it all motor :)

11. allmtr

Swapping over the front sump for the camaro one tonight. Will have the motor in tomoro.

Found a second hand water pump for $40 and someone is donating standard injectors. A mate donated and sent me a second hand starter today as well. Hopefully I can swap the standard sump for some more bits to complete the motor in the coming week.

12. Muncha81

Did you manage to get the motor in?

Any other updates?

13. allmtr

Motor and box are in. We're just playing with locating/mounting it atm.

Need to take the VK radiator to my radiator guy (who owes me a favour) to get one of the outlets lowered on the tank. Once that is done I can start adapting the Ford fans to it. I have the Hyundai thermo for the oil cooler and am playing around with mating the two.

This week should see a hell of a lot of work done on it.....I hope.

14. allmtr

Playing around with the motor/trans in the bay atm.

http://img188.imageshack.us/my.php?image=motorin1.jpg

Going to split the tunnel so we can move the drivetrain back 3 more inches. Factory HSV extractors will need to have V's cut in tubes near the flange to get them to hug the block a bit better otherwise it seems "all good".

Even with the motor moved back room is going to be tight for rad/fans.

15. allmtr

Got the motor where we wanted it:

http://img43.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture250520092.jpg

Left extractor needs a slight touch. Right one will need the pipes shortened about 3/4 inch. Ended up cutting a band out of the tunnel for clearance. Looking at shortening the chassis 10 inches to help with traction. Should have a fair bit done before the end of the week.

16. allmtr

17. allmtr

Yesterday I went down to Sydney and picked up a throttle body and fuel rails. Also dropped off the fuel tank to have a surge tank/extension added to it.

Today the chassis got cut, plated and reattached minus 10 inches of rail. This brings the wheelbase back from 119 inches to 109 which should help with traction a bit.

http://img151.imageshack.us/i/shortened32.jpg/

You can see from the droopy handbrake cable how much has been removed.

So the motor is now in and mounted. The tunnel is done, welded and sealed. The extractors have been modified and are now fitted.

http://img151.imageshack.us/i/motorin53.jpg/

Tomorow the Borg Warner diff will be modified and fitted and the truck will be coming home for me to do the fiddly bits over the next month (or two

18. allmtr

19. snapc3

I see you got the wheel base to almost match mine now. What are you going to do about shortening the bed? Just wack 10in out of the front also?

20. allmtr

Mine is a tray back so I dont have a bed. I'm on my way to the hardware store to get some materials to make the tray today. Pics to come