1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Another 69 Camaro Turbo Build New Times and Video 10/22/09 !I WON!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by ssmac, Jan 3, 2009.

1. ssmac

I have done the research for 2 years now and think I am ready to build my first turbo car. Thanks to all the great people here on this website along with others. THis will be my first turbo build and I am going to try and take as many photos as possible along the build. Plan is to try and have it running at the end of March early April of this year.

A little bit about the car...I bought the car almost 4 years ago as a rolling chasis. No engine, transmission, wheels, interior, cage, brakes nothing. I have since then gone many routes but ultimately I want this car to be a competitive car in stock suspenction heads up classes. This past year I ran the car in a true ten five class with a 355 and a single plate system. It was hard to keep up with a big block with 2-3 stages. So I have decided to turbocharge the 355 and see if that will get me in the mid 5's.

I have a basic idea of what I want to do with the car but any recommendations is always appreciated. I want to build 1000 hp at the flywheel. I will be using a stock GM block (I know this has been a hot topic here lately). THe build will go as follows

GM 010 block, filled and splayed main caps
    355 cu inch
    Eagle 4340 crankshaft
    Howards 5.7 utlimate duty billet rods
    Unsure of the pistons yet- looking for around 9.1 compression with my AFR 75 cc heads
    AFR 210 cc heads- stock right now but may do some porting
    Cam Motio Custom grind cam-Solid Roller
    Super Victir Intake
    Pro Systems Carb built for blow thru
    S480 turbo, 80 MM 1.32 A/R
    A/A Intercooler - Not sure on the size yet
    TH400 PTC converter
    12 bolt with 3.42 gears
    3100 lbs race weight
    C16 Race gas
    Ebay headers 1-7/8" primaries
    2-1/2" crossover piping
    5" downpipe

Car currently has cal-tracs with a 12 point chromoly cage - cert. for 8.50. Last year I ran a 28x10.5 slicks but want to try some drag radials out this year.

Although I have done alot of research I still have the following questions

Will the stock AFR 210 heads flow enough...or should they be ported out?
    Who makes a good a/a intercooler?
    Will my BG 400 be enough pump...or will I need to get another one?
    Where are you guys getting the oil feed to the turbo from?
    Stainless or coated piping?
    Can I use the MSD Multifunction controller PN 8979 instead of using the MSD 7AL-3 and keep my 6AL and HI Coil?

To start the build off I am posting some pics of what the car looked like early this year and what it looks like now. Thanks for all the help.

San Antonio Raceway Clash of the Titans Sept 2008
    [​IMG]#ad

2008 nitrous motor
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Block to build the piping
    [​IMG]#ad

What the car looks like today
    [​IMG]#ad

2. jay_rich

Re: Another Turbo Camaro Build

Nice Camaro its gonna be badass!...Also for the oil feed I went off the port just abouve the oil filter (it should have a cap in it) Or just T off of the oil pressure sensor.

Jay

3. ssmac

Thanks Jay...I'll keep that in mind when I get to that point of the build. Nice build you have going on as well. Look forward to seeing what kind of numbers you put out with your combo. Thanks.

4. TURBOCHEVYII

Nice start to your build. keep us posted. I got a nova in the works also. If you got any questions pm me.

5. ssmac

Thanks for the offer...I am sure there will be questions until this thing is running.

I am curious to see what your build looks like.

Thanks.

6. joeqs66

7. nealysa

Re: Another 69 Camaro Turbo Build

Depending on the rpm you will be running, your AFR 210's should be plenty.

8. alain

Interesting build. I love '69s. Keep us posted.

9. ssmac

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I did a little work today tearing down the engine. It is a 4 bolt block right now and I was fixing to take it to the machine shop to get it short filled and install some splayed caps. I started looking at the 4 bolt design and I curious if I will be making the block weaker by adding a splayed cap to the block. Has anyone installed splayed caps on a orginal 4 bolt block and had success with it? Should I ditched the 4 bolt block and look for a 2 bolt block and splay it?

Attached are some pics of my current block ready to go to the machine shop.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. TURBOCHEVYII

Its over in the sbc section I think on page 3 under turbo nova project :2thumbs:

11. Ssmonte408

for splayed caps you need to start with a 2 bolt block. Nice Camaro, :2thumbs: can't wait to see it finished.

12. turbo82s10

You can put splayed caps on a four bolt block you just have to plug the original outside bolt holes .Your machine shop should be able to take care of that for you if they are a good shop.Shouldn't cost you that much more since they are going to have to fit the caps any way :2thumbs:

13. d-land

Good luck on the build.

14. ssmac

Awesome build! Cant wait to see it complete.

15. ssmac

Do you think I will be weaking the bock by adding 2 more holes per main cap? Do you know what they use to plug the original holes?

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks D-Land.

16. MEAN_SBC

I'll be watching the build!!! If you need some pics for reference, there are plenty in my build up thread. The link is in my sig...

I actually ran my car in the Clash Cheap Street earlier in 08 in San Antonio..

Keep us posted!!!!

17. ssmac

Hey Brant
    Your build is one of the many that has influenced me to turbo my car. You have an awesome car...hate to see you get rid of it. Have you sold the car yet? Any pictures of the new car?

Thanks.

18. ssmac

No progress today, however I did get my Ebay headers in. They are not the normal Ebay headers I was orginally going to run. This is a custom set built for a first gen Camaro by the great people at J&S Polishing out of the great state of Colorado. I am very pleased with the set I got and they are in the process of building some more custom sets. If anybody would like J&S Polishing contact information please feel free to PM me. Its a shame I am going to eventually get all the hot side coated and cover all the hard work Jim put into polishing the headers. BTW, headers are 1-7/8" primariies (a little too big for this motor), Stahl pattern, and 3" collectors.

On a side note I have decided to ditch the original 4 bolt block and install splayed caps on a GM 010 2 bolt block a buddy of mine is trading with me. I have the splayed caps on order and hopefully I will get them in later this week.

I have also ordered some tubing and v-band assemblies to hopefully get started on mounting the turbo and building the cross over piping later on this week. Crossover piping will be 2-1/2" 304 stainless.

Attached are my new headers.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I still have a long way to go but I am already getting excited.

Thanks.

19. turbofreek

so your going to get your block machined to "hope" it holds up? id take that money and add some more to get an aftermarket block. there just is no replacement for one in my opinion. with all the cash it would take to do the caps, why waiste the money on a maybe?

20. ssmac

I totally agree with you. However, I think I could use that extra money else where. This is my first turbo build and I am sure after this I will be addicted and build something stronger and better next winter. I just dont want to spend the whole racing season on the fence watching. Thanks for all your help.