1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

ARP stud/bolt breakage

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Mnlx, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Mnlx

I've been reading about quite a few issues with ARP stud, and bolt breakage on a range of engines, and locations. Anyone here have a problem? I just put a set in the Arctic Cat, followed the directions, and a couple appeared to be stretching when getting close to the torque spec. On a second final torque they didn't feel solid at all, and i'm not impressed with what i've been reading.

2. jlbayes

I have a set in my truck and experienced no issues. Even when torquing them down they felt solid. Did you use arps lube?

3. Mnlx

I did use their lube. I was an automotive machinist by trade earlier in life, have been using ARP's stuff for 25 years, and never really had any issues until lately. Just a 2 min search turned up breakage with new and installed studs/bolts in LSX's, Ford Modulars, and Cummins. Even found some angry customer reviews on Summit.

4. blown385

could they be fakes ?

5. Mnlx

I'm confident the set I recently used were genuine... they came from a reputable local shop that race what they sell, and looked like quality pieces. The set on Summit I assume are legit, and I haven't personally seen any knock offs for the Cummins (and the thread I was reading on the Cummins was a few years old). The Modular, and ls stuff could easily have been fakes, but all claimed that ARP replaced the broken stud, but left them high and dry on getting the broken stud out.

6. jlbayes

I know of a few that seem to pop once in a while on the Cummins stuff. Arp has always exchanged them. I do get your nervous feeling about them. The set I am using are far outside their design intention. I was a little anal about how I went about installing them and the torque step sequence I followed. And then the subsequent retorques.