1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Are Turndowns better or Tail pipes for turbo'd 4.6's

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 12Sec2v, Nov 2, 2004.

1. 12Sec2v

The title says it all... Which one will sound better, and produce the most power. Also, and pos. or neg. things about either? Thanks in advance..... :)

2. hindle

Most definitely a 4" fart-can will make the most power and best noise. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. Kellyo77

I had turndowns for a bit on my car, granted its not a turbo yet, they sounded good for about an hour or so. Then I hated it. It drove me nuts how loud they were. Drove with my windows up for the drive back to the muffler shop. Personal preference though, alot of people like it. If you look at alot of the big time race cars, they have turndowns but that may be from the fat rear tire. Probably your choice.

4. snkypete

Which will sound better is different to every single person. Since you haven't stated the 'sound' you are looking for, we cannot tell you which we feel you will like better.

I have a Magnaflow setup on my car - idles very close to stock, extremely quiet while maintaining a nice rumble. However at WOT all you hear is the turbine wheel, not the exhaust.

5. Mick

I have a single 3 1/2" turndown with a Bullet muffler. If I pull up next to a car at a red light, my car shakes their car bad enough to make their mirrors vibrate.

Great intimidation factor. In car sound is loud and kind of obnoxious, but I get lots of compliments how the car sounds on the outside, so go figure?

in edit: Here's a pm I just got (I had the car out the other day). "the other day when i saw you at the redlight and started yellin at ya, the car sounds badass man.. "

Opps. I never heard him.

6. Andy Dorsett

If you are talking about turning down in front of the axle it will potentially keep you from getting it inspected. Anything that ends under the car will be significantly louder. I would think getting rid of the traveling through a hump over the axle would significantly reduce backpessure.

7. Scott02GT

As far as looks go, I think it depends on the rear bumper if it's a 99+ like I have then a set of nice 3" tips fill the cutouts perfect. if it's a 98 down then I think the side pipes are bad ass.

i have magnaflows like Pete, and I love them, but I don't have a turbo yet. I bet you could use a set of Magnapacks and they would soud killer, normally i think they are a little too much but he turbos will quiet them down just enough.