1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Are rodends necessary for a TURBO BRACE to absord expansion from SS ?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Air Supply, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Air Supply

I'm needing to make a brace and wondering is I should build it with rodends or rubber bushings. Is that even needed ?

2. turbocuda

Look like you are trying to run a turbo on your transmision! :bang:

3. Air Supply

:eek: :D that gave me a good chuckle !

4. Mr. Hawver

Well, if you really want to be sure, you can do a little math. First, convert the temperatures the brace is going to see from degrees Fahrenheit to Celsius. Just for the sake of simplicity, lets say the brace will see temps from -40 degrees F (winter) to 200 degrees F (summer), that will give us a delta T of 240 degrees F. Convert that to Celsius or Kelvin (its all good) and get 121 degrees.

Next, convert the length of your brace to meters (http://onlineconversion.com works nicely). Then, plug your length into the equation:

Delta L = 17.3*L*Delta T

Delta L is change in length of your brace in meters
    17.3 is the coefficient of thermal expansion for stainless steel
    L is the original length of your brace
    Delta T is the change in temperature in Celsius (plugging in 121 for it will work)

5. Air Supply

Wow, I'm aweful at math. I honestly tried but your * kept throwing me off. Reminded me of my old algebra classes 10+ years ago.

My exhaust temps will be around 1600f or 880c and the brace would be around 1 foot long I imagine. Not sure if it's needed but the header primaries are 25 inches.

6. jeremy mifflin

do it with rod ends.......
    car is looking good...

7. Mr. Hawver

Sorry, * just means multiply.

If your brace is a foot long and the underhood temps get to be 300 degrees Fahrenheit, your brace will lengthen about 0.0025 inches, or about the width of six hairs lined up side to side. I think you'll be fine with solid rod ends.

Just to give you a little perspective of underhood temps (because I really don't know what the average underhood temps of turboed cars are) paper will start burning once temperatures reach 451 and most plastics melt between 200 and 450.

8. Air Supply

Thanks a ton, you are very helpful ! :2thumbs:

9. BigAl...

:bang: don't do this again!!! my head hurts

BigAl...

10. 65ShelbyClone

That's actually about the width of one single hair. If it were six, I'd opt for the bushings instead. ;)

11. Air Supply

So, are you trying to see I do or don't need rodends ? Rubber bushings work ?

12. 65ShelbyClone

I was being a wiseguy. :angel:

A hair is only .002-.003" thick. You could move the tubes more by setting a 12oz soda on the turbo. The rod ends will be fine.