1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

build or buy a blowthrough

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by blue-boost, Jan 31, 2017.

1. blue-boost

So I've been reading up on building a blowthrough carb. Everything seems pretty cut and dry, I see no reason why I couldn't perform any of the tasks in the hanger 18 writeup. Looks like the most time consuming part is milling the choke horn, but my vertical mill should handle that easily. So my real question is will I hate the results of a DIY carb, and should I just spend the $600 and have CSU build this for me. This is a turbo sbf, 15# boost, on E85. Thanks for all advice.

2. PEARL MUSSIN

I say give it a try for yourself. It's pretty straightforward

3. tbird

If you where going to do gasoline I would say go for it. e85 Im kinda on the fence. Tune up is completely different.
    IF you have a wideband and time , go for it.

4. blue-boost

I do use a wideband, I have not researched any aspect of tuning for E85, only on the blowthrough conversion itself. Maybe I will just send it to the pros. My EFI setup was a disaster that turned into a nightmare, I want to avoid a repeat.

5. tbird

For e85 pretty much every restrictor size needs to be changed. You can get away with stock boosters and mainwells to 500ish hp.

Yeh CSU is good.

My suggestion is Horsepower Innovations for anything e85 whether it is N/a or forced induction.

6. blue-boost

Thanks tbird, I called Eric at horsepower innovations, he sounds like a great guy to do business with.

7. tbird

8. Raptor6.2

Eric @ HorsePower Innovations is an excellent way to go. He is extremely knowledgeable on e-85 blow through and great to talk with on the phone. I am not knocking C&S or CSU in anyway as I have not had experience with either. I have had a horrible and expensive experience with another well known carb builder, but Eric has got me on the right track.

9. blue-boost

Well I just placed my order for a blowthrough E85 carb from Eric at horsepower innovations. I debated whether to send him a very used and ugly Holley 750 or just buy new. Weighing all costs and ending equity I just decided to go all new.

10. tbird

Yeh new isnt really much more expensive. Especially if you sell your old stuff. And you will have good quality from the parts he uses. Depending on the year of the carb, some just had horrible quality control. Just makes his job harder trying to make it correct.

11. leeperryracing

I got mine from Eric too for a twin turbo setup on e85, best move i made...a minor jet change, set the idle circuit and i havent touched it since! I will be using it again on my new tt 400ci motor im putting together now

12. blue-boost

13. BlownShovel

just wanted to add - regardless DIY or purchased tuning is required. When I used to build a carb a week for folks i was surprised how many had never opened a Holley prior. My advice - research and learn. For E85 i feel the buy option is the best starting point. For regular gas I've seen 1000hp DIY and others with 600hp having issues. If you have a carb and need to go on the cheap hangar 18 style is functional. I usually added adjustable air bleeds into the mix as well. Most commercial carbs offer flexibility in tune and when you get to the 15+psi getting fuel to flow adequately can get tricky or require big jets unless alternative methods are involved(crutch, boost references PV, etc) All combos require tuning. Start off low on boost and timing and work your way up.

14. blue-boost

Great advice here! I was all in to do a diy conversion until I studied the benefits of E85 on boosted engines. That's when I chose to partner up with someone who was well versed in the E85 blowthrough world. I wasn't so much interested in just purchasing a carb as I was in need of someone to help along when the tuning starts.

15. BlownShovel

exactly - and with e85 - lots more fuel required. If it were more readily available around here I would be running it...

16. blue-boost

That's where I got lucky, a local fuel company can get me a 55gal barrel for right at $2 a gallon. Certified to be no less than E85.

17. BlownShovel

ah that is great. Still waiting for closer locs here

18. leeperryracing

its all over denver for under $2/gal....seen it as low as $1.75

19. blue-boost

Making some progress. image%3A10762.jpg #ad

boosthound86 likes this.
  20. PEARL MUSSIN

Looking good...