1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Methanol + Pump gas???

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by hotrodder_101, Mar 5, 2011.

1. hotrodder_101

I did a search and didn't find any satisfactory results. I saw where some one mentioned mixing meth and pump gas. Some one said in that post that it would seperate, but someone said that there maybe an additive to keep them suspended or mixed. Has anyone heard of this? The reason for this query is that I want to make my own E85 since I don't have any close. :bah: And it would be a more consistent mix.
    Thanks
    Luke

2. 302f150

Ok, not really helpful, but what exactly are you doing?? You mention methanol, then ethanol and gas mixtures, but say you are going to run ethanol... Are you not going to run straight E85 or are you trying to add like a small percentage to gas or do you want to mix methanol and gas?

3. hotrodder_101

What I want to do is run a 75/25 mix of meth (75%) and pump gas (25%). I cannot run E85 as the closest is 1.5 hrs one way.
    Luke

4. MONTEGOD7SS

You can get denatured alcohol (ethanol) for about $7/gal, but methanol is usually only about $2/gal. I don't know about mixing methanol with gasoline, but it sounds interesting.

5. hotrodder_101

Well I haent' found any where to get the E98 which is why I am asking the question.
    Luke

6. blown385

Add 8 more injectors and run straight meth on a separate tune on a separate fuel system . ;)

7. stangman9897

I saw something that said yes you can mix the two but to be carefull you could burn up your engine and thats all it said.

8. MONTEGOD7SS

There is M85, which was actually around before E85. I haven't heard of it in awhile, but I know it used to be talked about.

9. hotrodder_101

Can't add 8 injectors with a carb. It is a street cruiser/ race truck. I want the cooling properties of the ethanol but can't find it. I was thinking of getting some Meth and mixing my own that way I can control the mixture and it will be consistant. Also thinking of going 14:1 on compression and don't want to run straight race gas to cruise.

Monte any idea where I may find info about this product?
    Luke

10. MONTEGOD7SS

Not really. I heard about M85 even before I ever heard about E85. Ethanol doesn't seem as corrosive as methanol, but I'm not sure if it's enough to worry about. If wantabe ever comes in here he might have some ideas since he has a methanol rail going 6s. It doesn't seem like mixing methanol would be that much different than mixing ethanol, but it could be. E85 is dirt cheap, but just straight ethanol is pretty expensive for some reason. Methanol is cheap, and it does make sense to mix it with gasoline.

11. hotrodder_101

Yeah. I like the idea of mixing it. I just don't want to have to buy a bigger fuel system and use twice the fuel.
    Luke

12. PrecisionTurboMustang

I am pretty sure a few years ago there was a guy on here running a carb wiith two seperate fuel systems & two different fuels that was mixing them before the carb. He may have been running refular gasoline in the primaries and straight meth in the secondaries, I will try to find the thread from my office computer tomorrow.

13. stangboy86

14. blown385

:doh: Sorry , dont know why I was thinking it was injected .

15. hotrodder_101

Precision that is interesting. Never thought of that. I would need two completely seperate fuel systems though. Might pay for itself though with the price of Q16.

Blown no problem we all assume some times.
    Luke

16. H.P.Ranch

Anyone ever try this? Wonder how well distribution is between cylinders?

17. Chuck L

" I just don't want to have to buy a bigger fuel system and use twice the fuel." stepping up to a hi % of methanol is exactly what you will find yourself doing.
    Take a look at the Stoic of gas vs E85, methanol, and you will get an idea of what to expect.

18. H.P.Ranch