1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Lowering the K-member for hood clearance....

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by kayla, May 19, 2005.

1. kayla

Hey all,
    I was looking at this thread
    https://www.theturboforums.com/foru...=20&highlight=member spacer best&pagenumber=1
    And it seems like a good one for people looking for hood clearance.....
    Anyways, it seems lots of guys are going the 351w route these days, and thought I'd ask what you guys think about the idea.(I'm a big fan of keeeping the stock hood)
    this is the setup I was looking at, it lowers the K-member 1.5". Combined with convertable or drop mounts, this would sit the engine down quite a bit......
    http://fordifiedracing.homestead.com/kitinfo.html
    So what other stuff gets moved?
    What about the steering shaft?
    Brake lines?
    And then the car sits up 1.5" higher on the front, meaning lowering springs.
    What do you guys think, Any experiences?
    Thanks

2. Ranger50

Just the steering shaft needs a bit of lengthening.

If you use coilovers, just adjust the ride height with the adjusters.

It's a great idea..... simple and effective to eliminate a problem. Bob originally made those up for the guys building 460 powered Fox's. :D

3. Disney Lincoln

Hey!!! I know the car in the pics!! That's Beeny from Nashville with the worlds slowest 460 Stang!!! On the sauce it ran a sting of HIGH 7's (1/8th) on slicks!!! Got beat by a stock Z06 on the street by about 5 cars!!! :loll:

4. kayla

here's a PM from gtluke, I think he sums it up pretty well.
    Re: spacing the K-member

the steering shaft just pulled itself out of the column some more when i took the bolts out. no biggie, there is like a foot of slack in there.
    other than that everything was fine. i had to mod my turbo system a bit cause it started hitting the body a little bit with the move.
    i cut another coil out of my springs to make it look right.
    i'm trying my best to undo this mod, cause it really f's the suspension.
    the bumpsteer is terrible, but you can correct for it with a kit. i'm doing that this year, if i can i'm going to set the engine back a bit with a new k-member and try and get the frame back up and get the hood to close.

i would do it if you are prepared to set up the suspension correctly.
    if you can avoid doing this, i'd avoid it but its not that bad. it only took me an hour to get it all done.

5. m j

the control arms are already too low on a stock K member and you want to lower them further??
    read the Mustang Performance handbook and notice the great lengths they go to in order to raise the control arm mounting points

6. kayla

Well,
    That would be why I posted this thread.

7. m j

get the book
    pictures of Kmember modifications for lowering and moving the engine back

8. Linc's 84 351

I know of some folks that lowered the K for their 351W swaps, one just 3/8", the other 3/4". It does feel a little bit different in handling when done, maybe the bumpsteer kit is a good idea.

I don't know about 1.5", that sure seems like a LOT....

9. jwwhaley

I have a freind that had one made from AJE. He wanted to fit a 408 under a stock hood for stealthy-ness... He changed the project and no longer needs it , its for sale NEW IN THE BOX. PM me for info if interested..