1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Open turbo flange or divided? What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by juveteach, Feb 13, 2015.

1. juveteach

New to turbo life!
    Building a project with my High School Automotive class. Just wanted to know the plus or minus side to using a divided or open flange on the hot side to the turbo, and why?

Thanks

2. Mnlx

If you're using a hot side that can take advantage of alternating exh pulses, the twin scroll will help with spool. If you're not then really no difference.

3. juveteach

Sorry to sound dumb...but!
    How would I know if I would be able to benefit from the divided setup?
    Are there different type turbos that use or have to have alternating exhaust pulses?
    Thanks for being patient with me...lol

4. Mnlx

Most every setup can benefit from a divided setup, but packaging becomes tough on some engines. Many diesels use divided turbines, but you can run divided turbines with, or without a divided hot side.

5. juveteach

Ok...thanks mnix...
    I'm sure this won't be the 1st repeat question I ask.
    Here is another one about Cams...I'm figuring anything with a 112°L/S plus can only help a turbo car?
    I have a 224°i&[email protected] with a .573" I&e with a 112°....I'm hoping it run ok with it?

6. flyinhillbilly

What CI & heads?

7. juveteach

5.3l...stock heads...02 model

8. flyinhillbilly

It should run hard with that cam IMO

9. Jeremy

In general you want a wider lsa on a turbo car for spool and powerband. Mine are 115.5

10. Mnlx

Many have made great hp with lsa's in the 112-114 range, and some make good hp with them even tighter (spec'd turbo cam @ 108, 110), but the key is to match it to your combo. Your turbine selection, cid, head flow... ect all play a role in cam selection. If you want the most from your combo, the cam is the last thing to be spec'd. The cam you have will work good in most all turbo setups.

11. flyinhillbilly

Agreed, there is a little more power to be had with a slightly wider LSA, but it's pole vaulting over a mouse turd as far as I'm concerned. You will most likely make more power than you can put to the ground with what you have already picked out.

12. riceca

Love that! Pole vaulting over a mouse turd! Will use that one.

13. outsider03

Following