1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

single snail sbc 355 build. done alot of research just need some specifics

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 84slowrocZ, Feb 18, 2015.

1. 84slowrocZ

Thanks in advance for any help im doing this by myself and i havent done a carb turbo build.
    Heres what i got...
    SBC 355 4 bolt main .030 over
    fully forged manly rotating assembly
    Im going to be strapping on a set of dart pro 1 series platinum 215 23 degree heads that have had the CC worked from 72cc to 76cc.
    Port matched dart single plane intake. (set up came off of a N/A luv truck that ran high 4s)
    Proform 750 converting for blow through (doesnt take much with this carb)
    Custom grind cam from LJMS
    Building manifolds and hotside myself using 2 1/4 stainless
    Going to run 9.5:1 to 10:1 compression on e-85 havent decided on pistons yet.
    BorgWarner S400SX4 -80mm Billet T6 1.32A/R Turbo S480
    Switching to an MSD6al-2 box for timing retardation and 2 step all the goodies (currently on 6al and blaster 2's)
    going to run a Boost ref fuel pressure regulator
    holley hp 150 fuel pump (is that enough? cant find a definate answer)
    my goal is to run between 12 and 18 psi.
    So im thinking of going with a 38 mm wastegate and 50 mm bov.

Also any intercooler suggestions would be nice. Just need to know what im missing or if im off on any of my choices.

The car is a backhalved 84 iroc glide 9 inch on a 30 inch tire. 3200 race weight.
    Thanks for the add and thanks for any help.

2. leeperryracing

Everything looks good except for the holley 150 pump, that's not gonna cut it with boost especially running e85, I'd look into the holley 12-1400(I'm using this) or 12-1800 pump. As for an intercooler, not really necessary with 12-18psi on a blowthrough setup on e85. I have a twin setup on a 355, blowthrough e85, no IC and if I get to the point where my intake air temps get a little high, I'll just do a simple water/meth injection kit and not add the weight that comes with an IC and piping. I don't plan on setting the world on fire so air to water ICs and all that stuff is unnecessary to me.

3. 84slowrocZ

Thanks for the response, i forgot to mention it is street driven but literally just enough to get to the track and make it to where im racing at. never more than an hour at most. That shouldnt affect it though right? Ive been back and forth on the intercooler situation. just want to make it as simple and worry free as possible.

4. leeperryracing

What are your goals for the car?....sounds like its geared more towards the track than street for sure.

5. 84slowrocZ

Its a track car... not very streetable by most people means... i can drive it wherever i need though. My goal is to have a low 6 to high 5 second grudge car that i can take to the street toned down when i need to. Numbers dont mean much but i think i need to be right around 650 to 700 to the wheels to meet my goal. and i wanna leave room for more power if need be.

6. flyinhillbilly

That sounds pretty similar to my old setup with the exception of an 80 over a 75mm turbo. I ran an A1000 on it with a blowthrough 750 non intercooled, and even towed my jet skis with it. The old hooptie had pretty good street manners. Mine was on gas rather than E85 though so you'll probably need more pump. It would be hard to go wrong with a belt drive IMO.

7. leeperryracing

Oh ok, the list you have above should easily do that and much more in a 3200lb car and still have an engine with good street manners.

8. 84slowrocZ

Thank you sir. Gives me some confidence to go ahead with my build. i still need to figure out if im going to go manual boost controller or go ahead and cough up the cash for an electronic. Ill cross that bridge when i get there though. do you think ill have enough carb? its been a back and forth type of answer ive gotten.

9. 84slowrocZ

so i should just save on the intercooler huh lol

10. leeperryracing

750cfm blowthrough carb is plenty for a 355 if built properly, if you have the room and don't mind the added weight, then an efficient air/air IC won't hurt...but remember, air/air coolers get heat soaked and lose efficiency, water/meth injection doesn't.

11. flyinhillbilly

Mine didn't need one, on E85 I doubt you'll ever have an issue, plus your turbo won't have to work as hard to move the same amount of air that mine was, resulting in a cooler air charge. I think you're golden. I made 639.7 at the wheels blowing through the convertor with a 750, so you should be good to go there too.

12. 84slowrocZ

Awesome thanks guys would i want to run my AIT sensor right before the carb? so i dont get head soak through the intake? and the boost reference regulator should be all i need to feed the proper fuel to the car under boost? i dont need to run megasquirt or anything do i

13. 84slowrocZ

if i could get those number i believe i can definitley get my car to my ET goals