1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Carb hat elbow

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Bucky, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Bucky

I am fabricating the cold side of my system. It is a tunnel ram with two throttle bodies and a larger plenum under them. I am not running an intercooler, and the turbos are mounted just above the ends of the valve covers. So the distance of the cold piping is short. I need to make the transition from the carb style throttle bodies, 90 degrees toward the turbos. I also need to transition from the 5" diameter throttle bodies to the 3.5" tubing. I tried the Spectre hats, but they drop the tubing level down (probably for getting under hoods), and that bring the tubing down too low for the turbo. The nice thing about those hats is that the bolt to the throttle body, and I don't have to weld a vband to the throttle body. I'm struggling with the cold side plumbing. I have even considered making a new top for the tunnel ram. But that is more involved than I was hoping for. I suppose I could make a hat incorporating both throttle bodies. Again, not real simple. I hear there are some other cast throttle body adapters on the market, but I have not found them. Any suggestions or experiences?

2. Mnlx

Have any pics? Many blow thru guys run spacers under the hat for airflow reasons, but would help in aligning.

3. Bucky

The first image shows the Spetre hat I purchased. Not much that I see that I can do with that.
    IMG_0687.jpg #ad
    IMG_0689.jpg #ad
    IMG_0690.jpg #ad
    Lets see if I downloaded correctly

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  4. Bucky

IMG_0692 (1).jpg #ad

I had this old scoop that fits the two throttle body spacing. Just for mocking up purposes for building a hat of sorts

5. Bucky

IMG_0691.jpg #ad
    IMG_0688.jpg #ad

6. Bucky

IMG_0693.jpg #ad

Thinking of something like this for a hat.

7. ss496

8. Bucky

Cool build. I think I will forge ahead with a hat creation.

9. tbird

allstar makes billet aluminum spacers that peeps us to space hats up. Could raise the hats to where they work good for you and get the height you need.

10. Pro-SC

Have you considered turning that scoop around the other way? You could run it so the opening is the opposite of your picture and that would give you a bit more room to make up a nice set of pipes from the turbos to the hat .

11. Bucky

I think I am going to work with a fabricator I know and get a custom hat made. He has some ideas.