1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

anyone using LS1 coils with aem/bs3/fast etc

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by blacksaleen95, Feb 28, 2007.

1. blacksaleen95

i'm thinking about getting rid of my dist and going with a crank trigger, cam sensor and ls1 coils. I see that some of the supra guys have run this setup over on the aem forums, I didn't know if anyone on here had attempted it. I've read a litte about the edis, however that uses the ford style coils so i'd need something like a dis 4 to drive that correct? whereas the ls1 coils are "smart" coils and won't need a box? Im thinking of using the msd or explorer cam sensor/oil pump driver, 12 tooth wheel and the ls1 coils. If anyone has any input on this, or has tried anything similar please share your thoughts. Thanks

Jim

2. Craig Smith

It's a great idea on any engine in my opinion, so I like your idea. They are good coils that can support a pretty decent amount of power and they are quite reliable.

No matter what you will need one of two things. You either need an engine management system with enough ignition outputs to drive each coil, or you need a secondary device that provides those coil control outputs, just like the Ford EDIS module would do.

If you have a 36-1 wheel still on your car, you could actually continue to use that and run the LS-1 coils with an XFI system. It uses a separate ignition module to run the coils but it is a simple and proven way to do this.

There are a few solutions to this problem in the aftermarket. Some require a specific crank sensor so just be sure that you know ahead of time what you need. Needing an LS1 trigger wheel to run LS1 coils would be a bummer in my opinion since those wheels are not easy to physically adapt to other engines. DFI had a box that worked that way when I was there and I didn't care for it for that reason. It wasn't really well-suited for anything other than an LS1.

3. BigAl...

I'm currently using 6 ls1 coils on my v6 setup with an AEM ecu, keep in mind that you'll have to run waste a spark if you use an aem since they usually don't have 8coil outputs, mine has 5 so I'm only using 3 in W/S. I'm still in the breakin process so I can't confirm power support.

Installation was super simple + - and trigger to each coil (do not connect low reference), 12 tooth wheel and a cam p/u.

BigAl...

4. blacksaleen95

ok, so I'm going to take the dive....

I'm going to get 8 LS1 coils, the pigtails, MSD 8522 Cam sync plug, Mike sitars 12 tooth trigger wheel and a crank sensor. Hopefully once its gets warmed up and I get my full exahust on I'll be able to tinker with this and report back.... I still have to get the GM knock sensor up and working, and get the car 80% tuned before I can get into this, but I'll let you guys know how I make out...... I think this setup should have no problem out performing a regular dist. setup..

5. 86svo

I will be trying it too,I bought a BS3 for a ls1,I also bought a 24 tooth trigger wheel,we will see if it will work on a 2300 based engine.

Tim

6. blacksaleen95

hey man no fair....you've only got half the cylinders you only have to do half the work;) kidding kidding.... good luck, sounds like that should be a sweet build!

7. Craig Smith

Sounds cool, but I haven't figured out yet what you are going to connect the coils to. What will you use?

8. blacksaleen95

the coils will be connected right into the AEM. Since the LS1 coils are "smart" coils they each have their own ignitors so I won't need a box to run them.

9. Craig Smith

Got it. Remember that the LS1 coils require a 0-5 volt control signal, not 0-12, and the dwell control is opposite a normal coil. Meaning that the coil dwells when the control signal is high and not low. As long as the AEM can be configured that way, you are on your way to a cool COP conversion! :chacha:

10. blacksaleen95

I just called to verify that I could actually do this with AEM tech and they said it should be no problem :chacha: It will be wasted spark mode, so I will be using coil outputs 1-4 to drive the coils... I will have to wire 2 coils in parallel to one coil output. Once it starts to warm up and once all my parts come in I'll start messing with this and let you guys know what I came up with for a final setup.

11. 808 turbo

Hey. Blacksaleen95 any update? Thanks

12. Brillko

The cam sync sensor must be tore apart and sealed with silicone. Yes MSD says it wont need that. But it needs.

4 cars here has this problem and we all solved it with new sensor. MSD wont listen thouh. Btw the stock sensor sucks.. Its a really bad signal. We changed to Honeywell Gt101 sensors.