1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

More boost or more cubic inches

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Coupe Devil, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Coupe Devil

Which do you guys prefer. Stock roller 351 block. Keep the boost low and add
    cubic inches to a 377-393 range. OR keep it a 351-357 and add more bosot
    pressure? Twisted wedge heads, Victor intake, 60lb injectors (now, will go
    larger as fuel requirements go up) c4 w/ brake, 3800 convertor, 3.08 rear,
    275/60 PRO radial.

2. Jeremy

No replacement for displacement.

Its what ever you prefer or is in the budget, both ways can get you the power you want.

3. H.P.Ranch

351 and more boost, c4 may not last long either way.

4. Mnlx

Displacement only gets you so far though.... the heads you choose will determine hp potential. The same heads on both displacements will still make about the same hp, but at different rpm levels. The larger cid will get you more low speed torque, and will make peak hp at a lower rpm all else being equal.

5. Coupe Devil

Currently I have a set of bos stock Twisted Wedge heads (older so were going to assume they are PRIOR to the "fast as cast" 170's but still a 170 head) on my 347. I dont mind having the heads worked on. I LIKE the idea of making more power lower in the rpm range because this is a stock block setup I am not plannign on turning it over 6200.

6. 20psiofevil

Boost is the replacement for displacement.

7. ThomasWPT

How much power do you want to make and do you want to do it on pump fuel?

8. Jeremy

If you want to improve low end torque and spool and shift power band lower more boost wont do that. More cubes and compression will. Also going to a billet ball bearing turbo will shift it lower. I picked up 100rwhp and 140rwtq at 3krpms going from the same size cast wheel journal bearing turbo to a billet wheel ball bearing version.

9. 91turboterror

You would get more useable power if you move your powerband lower in the rpm range. Can you put it to the ground though?

10. ashford

keep in mind that less cubes and more boost opposed to bigger cubes will raise where you are on the compressor map and the same turbo will support more power on the smaller engine.

11. Jeremy

Not necessarily, its about flow and ve. You will get more flow/power on less boost (pressure ratio) with more cubes and compression. Just keep an eye on pre turbine pressure and piping size depending on how big the motor is for the turbine trim.

12. Forcefed86

With those heads and factory cubes, boost alone will easily make more power than that block can handle. What are your goals? Obviously you aren’t shooting for the moon power wise with stock block stuff. My vote would be to leave it alone and add boost. More bore /stroke will just be harder on the OEM block. Guys running mid 8’s on stock bottom end 351’s these days. ;)

13. pound4pound

what turbo and specs of the turbo

14. Coupe Devil

Well I had planned on following in Tony Reiners foot steps. BUT that still puts me in the territory of splitting the stock block and tearing up a whole bunch of other ish....

AND I think i've sold the 351 I have and made some money over what I have into it. Looks like at this point I'll be sticking with the 8.2 deck and swapping my rotating assembly over into a Dart block. Im currently running a stock block 347 which I know is a ticking time bomb. So I am not even driving it hard when I do get it out.

Turbo is currently a Q trim 76 Master Power 1.0 AR exhauast. 3 inch downpipe. On 11 lbs now and it runs well but im wanting more. So i'm going to get a block and turn the boost and fuel up. I'll run it on pump most of the time since its a street car but can also switch to race fuel if needed at the track.

15. pound4pound

if it was me I would shoot for a dart shp block 302 base I think they offer one.... keep the same turbo and maybe port the heads. if the cam is a turbo grind for the 347 re-use it.... and crank up the boost. if I understand you have a 347 in a 302 block. or is it a 351......dart shp block will work either 302 base or 351 base. that turbo is to small for larger cubes smaller cubes and more boost and ftw

16. Coupe Devil

True, I'm currently running a 347 but the SHP blocks are only rated at 600. I have personally talked to people that have made north of 1000 with the SHP blocks but trust me, if ANYONE can have bad luck it's me. My ish would tear up at 400 hp and shit can a 1600 dollar block on the way out. I'll probably step up to the Iron Eagle block.

17. Forcefed86

Id ditch that turbo quick as well. The Q wheel is way too small. U dont want a 68mm exh wheel mated to a 76 compressor. Ideally u want the turbine wheel to be the same size or larger than the comp wheel.

68 is too small anyway. Id look at the cheap s475 if your budget limited. Or the billet s476 line if youve got some money to burn. ;)

18. Coupe Devil

How cheap is an S475? I cant find a single post where anyone that sells one will actually quote a price. They all respond "Pm me to discuss price" NOPE. if your not going to post a price im not buying from you so you can charge different prices to different customers.

19. Forcefed86

Best price I’ve seen on the “cheap one” is $640 shipped to your door. This one has a 1.32 T6 exhaust housing which is a little on the large side. Coupled with a 75 compressor wheel and 350ish+ cubes though it’s not as laggy as you’d think. Back pressure will be minimal and that allows you to run an aggressive cam and make big power up top. FOr $200 you can get a 1.10 t6 housing on this turbo and it would work great. For that price though ($840) you could prob snag the turbo below.

Turbodaves.com sells them. First turbo on the list.

https://turbodaves.com/S400SX_Series.html

If you spend a little more you can get a more size appropriate billet 11 blade S475. I believe if you ask him he can replace the 1.0 AR with a 1.25 t4 AR for the same price. He also takes less than his asking price. (I offered 100 less ) and he took it on my billet 76mm. Great guy to work with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4adb42cdf4

20. M&M Turbochargers

we can do a s475 for 650.00 96/88 1.32