1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone use the spool feature on a MSD 7531?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by TDmkr496, Nov 18, 2011.

1. TDmkr496

I was reading through my manual the other day and noticed that there is a rev limit called spooling rev limit when the light and dark blue wires are turned on.

Has anyone used this feature? How well does it work? Any tips??

Thanks guys!

2. yellowpony

Never used the 7531, but I imagine that is the same as "soft" rev limit that misfires cylinders to aid in spool. I have read your other threads, and your car hauls the mail, are you currently not using a rev limit on the transbrake? They greatly aid in building boost at line.

Anthony

3. TDmkr496

Thanks!

Yes I use the limiter on the TB but I also start to spool it on the foot brake and this is where I was going to try this limiter so I wouldn't have to be on the TB as long.

4. yellowpony

Sounds like a plan! Make sure you wire to a switch so you can turn it off when you street drive!

Anthony

5. 86lxnotch

i forget which wire goes where but one goes to the t-brake and the other the footbrake. pump the brakes up and roll into it as you prestage. you should get close or slightly into boost then stage and hold the t-brake. and itll take you to that rpm and youll be good to roll

6. 04mx

why turn it off on the street ? :huh:

7. yellowpony

Say you are messing around, make a hit and have to get on the brakes, and the engine rpm is over your set limit in the msd, it will activate the 2 step. May not be needed, but just something to think about.

Also after he makes a pass and gets on the brakes, wouldn't it activate it? Ease correct me if I'm wrong, never used the 7531.

Anthony

8. 86lxnotch

was just gonna say that ant lol, forgot congrats on your times too!

9. blown385

Your probably going to have different tunes for street and strip , ( different files ) Street file you just deactivate the limiters , except max obviously . But you might want a different max RPM for street .

Yes the limiter will activate at the end of a pass when you get on the brakes . The engine will not fire again until the RPMs are low enough . Its just like turning off a switch .

10. 04mx

my limiter is at 2500rpm on the brake and 4200 on the t\b and when I let off at the strip the rpm just falls to 4000 and slowly comes down to idle as i slow down since i let my foot off the gas (throttle blades close) and then on the brakes .

and on the street it does the same just comes back down faster since i don't rev it as high.

MIND YOU I don't use both feet while drive , it might not be ideal for 2 foot drivers tho ?

The only ill effect is if I try to rev it while in park or neutral and I hold the brakes at the same time it will only rev to 2500 rpm .

11. TDmkr496

Thanks! My 60' has picked up so much I'm building a 9" for the car because I'm scared I'll break the beefed up 12 bolt thats in it now!

Thats what I do anyway, I turn the boost down to 10 lbs for pump gas and pull 1deg/lb so this would be an easy thing to change as well, even with this mild tune the stupid thing spins tires like your driving in the rain.... :bang: