1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone use a BD TowLoc converter controller?

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by Colt, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Colt

I dont browse around on the diesel sites, I have a hard enough time not touching my trucks as it is. Hell I'd need a tow truck to replace my tow truck so I could take them to the track HAHA So maybe some of you have heard some reviews or are using one yourself...

The controller from what I've read is pretty kick ass, but I cant find any reviews on it.. Seeing how it monitors engine load, where the others dont, thats a big plus in my book.. My '00 loves to shift into OD at 45 MPH while pulling a 14K lbs trailer. Goes from unlocked 3rd gear, to locked OD, you talk about the truck falling on it's face... Take it out of OD, and it never locks the converter until 57 MPH. Thats my biggest issue with the truck while towing in stop and go traffic, and why my transmission temps run so high. 40 MPH and the converter is unlocked, when it doesnt need to be.. I can change my shift points with the Edge Evolution, but I cant control the converter. The shift points dont seem to be load based either, empty going down hill it might be in 3rd gear at 60 MPH, you cant find a perfect towing and empty setting.. All the other converter controllers out there are either manually controlled ( I can build one of those, screw spending a few hundred on that ), or manual and MPH based..

When I'm towing, I want it to shift a gear, unlock the converter, then lock based on load. Shift, unlock the converter, then lock again on load.. You cant get that out of any of the other controllers I've researched, and I was about ready to build my own until I came across this one........ Anyone know anything about it? I dont mind spending the money on it ( 425 is the cheapest I've found ), but I dont like blowing that kind of money either.. I wish the 4R100 was like the 6.0 transmission ( 5R100?? I dont remember ), I love that transmission, seems to always know what to do and when to do it..

2. 93PONY

All of what you want to can be programed into the stock ECM. I've modified all of that with the SCT software. Not the most user friendly, but it does have all the tables you need.
    You can buy the 'racer pkg' and change anything you want.
    I can also send you my file as a starting point.

Shift & lock schedules are load based tables. They are tricky, but can be programed to do what you want.
    I spent a couple of months (trial & error) dialing in my trans functions.

3. Colt

Cool, thanks for the reply.. Are the SCT tuners for diesel's very good? I'm running a Edge Evolution right now, I like it quite a bit.. I am a dealer for diesel go fast goodies, but the only flash programer I've ever sold was a SuperChips FlashPak for a 05 Dodge Ram, truck runs really well.. Other than that, and my Evolution I have not messed with or sold any flash programmers... 99.9% of the stuff I sell are Edge Products, I push them pretty hard mostly because of the gauges. By the time you figure in the programer, and gauges your right up in the price range as a Edge w/ Attitude ( even more so with the Evolution, that thing is cheap for what it does, and it works very well ) if not higher.

If I run the SCT, I cant program a tune with my Evolution, thats the only draw back I see to that. I can keep the gauge readout though. My truck really responds to "retarded" fuel timing ( low to mid TQ go through the fricken roof ), which is good and bad, the transmission and converter wont hold it.. But I guess with the SCT I could take care of that.

I'll do a bit of research on that, thanks for bringing it up, I didnt realize the SCT could do that... If I get it I'll hollar at ya for the transmission "tune" :D I'm getting pretty fed up with the transmission the way it is. I mean come on, why in the world would Ford let this thing shift into OD at 45 MPH while pulling 12K LBS?

4. 93PONY

I had an Edge Attitude w/juice..... I used the SCT X-cal to program the Trany the way I wanted it. Ended up doing a custom (stackable) program & she threw down 342/699RW on my 2000lb inertia drum chassis dyno.
    The SCT Diesel programs SUCK! But, with the 'racer' package, you can do your own full custom tuning, like I did.

In the end I sold the Juice & kept the SCT....I de-tuned it to 300/600RW. She got 20.5mpg going to vegas & back at 75-85mph (last trip I took). My buddies '08 Duramax got 16mpg....we caravaned. I was surprised. I thought we'd both get 20+mpg.

The injector timing & Injector pressure tables I run are modified from a 6.0L.
    Trans non-shifting pressure is increased 20% for towing.
    I have my converter locking earlier than stock for better fuel economy. It's not hard to program it for the opposite.