1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

anyone twin turbo a jet boat? questions..

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by fordtechguru, Oct 12, 2015.

1. fordtechguru

so, I have a 19' jet boat with a 460, tunnel ram and log manifolds currently. the logs for n/a suck, thinking about running the water logs and ditch the snails and put twins on it, convert the weiand tunnel to an efi intake and run a ms3 box, pump gas.. best as I can tell, the turbo selection has to be different than you would run on a car. looser turbines so it doesn't spool just cruising around. thinking a target of 800 hp at 6000 rpm. anyone have any experience or suggestions?

2. TURBO-D MIKE

Correct, the selecting a turbo for a boat is completely different than a car. Like you said you don't want to make boost too fast just cruising around, and you don't have a gearbox....its direct drive so RPM's have to be taken in to account

3. M&M Turbochargers

id try a pair of gt45's

4. fordtechguru

that's actually what I was thinking, they do have big turbines. maybe start at 8-10 psi and see what it does. I remember seeing a guy who did something similar with a bbc log manifold boat a few years ago. trying to avoid intercooling it but I might..

5. M&M Turbochargers

at 200.00 ea it would be a good place to start

6. ss496

I am starting to put together parts for a very similar build.....picking up an impeller tonight.

M&M....what is the best way to contact you? I sent an inquiry on your website last week...is a PM here a better way?

7. ss496

And in my opinion it i would be a shame not to intercool it....all that cool lake water and one giant pump already in the boat...BOO YAH!!

8. M&M Turbochargers

sent you a pm with contact info

9. fordtechguru

yep, was thinking my pressure relief circuit could be used to run water through the cooler core, it doesn't run at idle but just above idle it moves a lot of water..

10. OkieDave

Turbo jet boat is a match made in heaven. Twins on a 460 makes sense. IC will allow you to make good power on pump gas. You'll want the biggest impeller you can get and a good tight pump.

11. fordtechguru

yep, thinking the best match keeping the water cooled logs and a driveable yet stupid fast jet is tt.. got a fresh berk, stuffed and clearanced with an a impeller. at 10 psi it ought to run good, lol :cheers:

12. ss496

Hells yeah...i scored these today for mine

460 manifolds.jpg #ad

13. fordtechguru

whats the plan for yours? bbf it looks like..

14. ss496

18' Nordic bubbledeck....Mild 460 thats in the boat now.....about 380-400 hp N/A.....Dominator pump...presently has an A impeller...about 9:1 compression convert the tunnel ram thats on it for EFI.....twin S366's or GT45's....air/water intercooler....microsquirt...shoot for about 750 at about 13 lbs max

Had a lead on a AA aggressor....but it was turned down..... I want the largest impeller I can reasonably get to keep my RPMs low....add boost to increase speed

Will be nice to have the turbos quiet things down and now water injection into the exhaust stream so I can run a wideband

15. ss496

couple pics N/A....Im starting to gather parts now as I come across deals

boat.jpg #ad

roost.jpg #ad

16. fordtechguru

nice boat! I'm pondering which ms box to go with.. boat engine.jpg #ad

boat engine.jpg #ad

17. ss496

Thanks!! Sharp looking engine...we have the same tunnel ram too.

I was going to use logs like you have....but came across the center riser units for $200....Only thing I dont like about them is that half the flange bolt hole provisions are missing....could be an issue with sealing.

18. ss496

Im thinking a microsquirt unit would be the cats ass since it is cheap, assembled and can easily be sealed to be water tight......but Im considering MS2 or MS3 as well....would be nice to have additional inputs for datalogging....pump intake pressure, bowl pressure, etc

19. fordtechguru

the ms2 will do closed loop fuel control and ignition mapping, think it has all the features I need. add boost control if needed..

20. ss496

microsquirt does that as well....except for boost control and stepper motor idle control.....it can do PWM for a Ford IAC

Start up a build thread when you get going. Have anymore pictures of your boat?