1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Remote Turbo Oiling

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by cammerfe, Jan 4, 2011.

1. cammerfe

A thread just below got me started thinking, and I find myself re-examining what I thought to be gospel. It has been my impression that primary oiling for a remote mount turbo comes from an engine oil gallery and is simply plumbed from a convenient take-off point on the engine. The RETURN to the engine is accomplished by the use of an electrically-powered scavenge pump that pulls the oil from the central turbo bushing/bearing and returns it to the engine sump. My just-completed reading here seems to suggest that at least sometimes the pressure is provided by the electric pump.

Will someone (or more profitably someones) please comment on this topic? Thanks in advance!

KS

2. luckythirteen13

as far as i know, the only time the pump feeds the turbo itself is when the turbo has a self contained oil system.....its own tank with oil that never sees the motor

3. sean

It can be done either way. The right pump and reservoir tank and the oil pressure can be provided by the electric pump.

4. stangman9897

That would worry me , what if the pump went out or a fuse or relay good bye turbo. Running off the motors oil supply is a lot more safe in my book if the motor dies the turbo stop's anyway. Just food for thought.

5. Orr89rocz

I guess running a -4 AN line off the motor at some oil supply point will be enough to supply oil all the way back say 10-15ft to the rear of the car. I'd just not sure how the drain system would work. Have to run the scavenge pump constantly but is there enough volume in the drain to keep it from running dry? I assume the pumps can operate well both wet and dry.

Would you still use a -10 or so AN line to drain to the pump and then doesnt matter what size line back to the motor since its pressurized?

6. 302f150

You can run a pump designed to run dry w/o damage. Or you can make a small tank that collects oil and only turn the pump on when the level gets up some. I think a quart per minute is normal oil flow through a turbo. So it should be a decent amount of oil flow for the pump

7. cammerfe

I've been researching the subject of remote oiling for some time and it seems that the usual way is to use a -6 or equivalent from the turbo outlet to the pump and then on back to the engine. I believe the larger line is only necessary in the event of a gravity return with a (relatively) high, engine-mounted turbo.

KS