1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Paint removal

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Mnlx, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Mnlx

I bought a cheap oil pan and pickup from Jegs, and although its very nice for the price, they decided it would be a good idea to paint the inside of the pan, and the pickup. The oil trap door is almost non functional because of it. Anyone have any easy methods for removing paint, including areas that are not reachable with a scraper, or brush?

2. Disney Lincoln

paint stripper? I have a little soda blaster gun that works very well but don't know about areas that you cant see. I'd suspect some chemical is all you could do.

3. Mnlx

Yeah, hoping to find something I could dip it in vs brushing on. May have to take it to the machine shop and have them tank it.

4. B E N

Call Jegs and explain the problem, maybe they can send you one that's functional. It seems like a waste to spend more money on a cheap oil pan and have it turn into an expensive one.

Short of that you could try oven cleaner, its mostly lye and depending on the paint type might strip it right off. Getting it blasted or tanked seems like the right solution, but if you cant disassemble it I am not sure blasting is a great idea.

5. Mnlx

Thanks. I sent an email to jegs but haven't heard back yet. I can blast it, but that's a last resort at this point. I may try the oven cleaner if they're no help.

6. westcoastwrenchin

My experience stripping an entire car to bare metal left aircraft stripper as my preferred method. Oven cleaner is great on aluminum but I dont think itll strip paint as well as the aircraft stuff.

7. Mnlx

I've heard the oven cleaner isn't the same as it use to be either. I talked to a tech guy at Jegs, and he agreed that the pan shouldn't be painted inside, and he said to return it. The same pan is on Ebay, or Speedway in a zinc finish, so the plan is to order that rather than screw with making this work.

B E N likes this.
  8. B E N

It seems like all of the good chemicals got taken away from the public because they are bad for people who don't understand how bad for them they really were :(

9. 91turboterror

I’m with Westcoast the aircraft paint stripper would be your best bet.