1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone running 60s with blow thru MAF and stock A9L...no chip??

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by LowTensLX, Feb 9, 2009.

1. LowTensLX

I am bumping up from 42s to 60s for my 331 76mm set up, but I don't want to get a chip. Is there a meter out there that will run OK under boost with 60s?

I know that Jeff from Pony Down has 60s and I think a PMAS in his coupe and runs with the stock A9L without a tune. His just runs a little rich at idle and he has to hold the pedal to the floor to get it started sometimes.

Let me know.

Thanks!!

2. Ackbar00

Work? Yes
    Work OK under WOT? Yes

Run Like Shit? Yes

I was just like you. Take my advice. GET A TUNE!!! You can pick up a used SCT chip for $100. My tuner (Precision Autosports) has me done and out the door for less than 2 hours dyno time (About $250). It makes ALL the difference in the world in how the cars runs and drives. I can cruise along in 5th gear at 30 MPH if I want, just llike it was stock. It is really worth the money.

3. Anthony Fury

How much money have you spent on your car, up to this point? Getting it tuned will make buying all of that stuff worth it, in addition to being a really small fraction of how much you've spent already.

4. smokin03cobra

5. LowTensLX

Thanks guys! I'll get off my azz and get it tuned. There is a tuner and dyno about 2.5 hours drive from me, so that's not bad.

6. Ackbar00

I tried to run 50#'rs and no tune. It would run fine at the track, but it really was just no fun to drive on the street.

It really does make all the difference in the world, I think you will be pleased. :)

7. Drac0nic

You made more power too, right? That plus the piece of mind that you're not going to blow a motor up is worth it IMO.

8. TurboLou

If you can get your hands on an old Optimizer it should be no problem. I helped tune a friends 331 incon twin turbo mustang about 9 years ago using a stock A9L (no chip), stock timing (10* base) and 42# injectors. I temporarily installed my Motec Wide Band to monitor the WOT AFR and adjusted the Optimizer until we got the mixture we wanted with 12# of boost. The car has not required a tune change in all these years and still runs great (he let me drive it again recently :chacha:).

9. Ackbar00

Not really. When I did that i pulled my 30#'rs and the FMU. I dont remember the car running any faster and I did not have a wideband on the car at that time, so hard to tell if it was running any "safer".