1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

V band or T4 housing, which is better quality/performance/fitment

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by white88lx, Aug 4, 2013.

1. white88lx

I tried doing a search and didn't find what I was wanting. Wanting to do twin 62's and am compiling the parts list and unsure whether to go with a T4 or Vband clamp on the turbine housing. So my question is what are the pro's and con's of each. Is one going to cause a leak more likely? does one fit more than the other? Will one of them provide a quicker spool? so on and so on.

thanks for any replies

btw car is an 2008 gt500 if it helps

2. tchargers

What style of flange do you have on your T4? Flat, 20 degree Marmon, 45 degree Mack ? All the clamps will be stainless regardless of the flange. And the Flanges can be had in Mild Steel, Stainless, or Aluminum. All of them seal fine will a proper set up. But I wouldn't use Aluminum for a street car, Drag only. The material it's made from will have Zero effect on spool up has the work for the exhaust gases is already done once it goes thru the turbine housing. But has a general rule you want the least amount of backpressure on the outlet has possible. On a T4 exhaust I would not use anything less than 3.0 inches. On a V8 I would either bump it up to 4 inches and/or split it into the two stock exhausts

3. MONTEGOD7SS

I think he's talking about turbine inlet flange. V-band turbine housings are badass, and if something like a TiAL version I would definitely go that route if available for your turbos and could afford it.

4. white88lx

Yes I am talking about the turbo inlet flange. Is there a reason why they're better or just cause they're the new and hottest thing lol

5. tchargers

A little of both. If you are working on the engine all the time and need to remove the turbo all the time they are great. If it's A street car and you seldom have to remove it probably not worth the money

6. MONTEGOD7SS

They are stainless, light weight, and don't require heating and beating a pipe into a flange since they are round. If that seems worth it to you then I would say go for. The overwhelming majority don't use one, but if I had the money I know I would.

7. tchargers

Agreed, even being in the turbo business I seldom take them off, other then my 5 year plan to freshen them up. New bearings, balance and maintenance. Stainless,unless i have not seen the data makes that it makes more power than cast iron.If it did every NHRA fuel driver would have it.
    But it looks Cool on Saturday Night at the Drive-In

8. MONTEGOD7SS

Top Fuelers don't run many turbos, but there are plenty of outlaw 10.5 and outlaw drag radial type cars that do. Stainless turbine housings are light weight, which is good when you're hanging it off a headers for thousand of miles in a street car. You most likely won't gain any power.

9. tchargers

Top Fuel can not use turbos.they would be well over 15 thousand HP and few tracks have a shut down that big.Thats whatli killed Scott Kalitata

10. MONTEGOD7SS

I'm aware that Top Fuelers don't run turbos, but has nothing to do with power. I think this thread can just die now, and hopefully the OP got a smidgen of help from it.

11. tchargers

Wasn't trying to start a fight Mister MonteGod. It just makes me sad that so many would be sellers bullshit newbies in telling them they need Billet wheels and stainless housings and claim 100 hp increases. 99.9 percent of them are overseas crap. Without any proven facts. Yes, you will always see the 1 in a million internet car that was paided off to say they went 182.00mph in 15 feet with a said turbo Once. Try to duplicate that

12. jridenour31

So you're saying that claims of 100hp increases with billet wheels are lies? I've never seen anyone claim a stainless anything increases power.

13. tchargers

NO NO No, Everybody is claiming that the billet china wheels are kicking ass with out of these out of this world time slips and MPH. But cant never be backed up I watch it every Friday and Saturday night. The guys running the out of the box Borg Warner Airwerks are killing them Call me a lair if you want, but come to Texas and watch

14. jridenour31

Lol I never said you were a liar. I know exactly what an out of the box s475 can do. I am disputing your Chinese billet claim, though. I have never seen anyone claiming a Chinese anything is kicking ass. What Chinese turbo even has a billet wheel? Oh great, another one of the "come to Texas" guys. Must be something in the air down there.

15. tchargers

No, just have 5 tracks within a hours drive
    If your so bad ASS come down. And do not be a pussy and trailer your shit box. Drive it like a man. If it can't make it 50 miles give it to your little girl

16. jridenour31

Lol you're a moron.

17. jridenour31

V-band is the way to go. They're more compact, won't leak, look better, and they simplify the piping.

18. 10secgoal

Agreed lol

The vband in this case is T3. The standard T4 stuff has more size selection. More comes down to how much power you want to make and your turbine selection. Then, if the T3 will fit great. 1000-1500hp and the normal style flat flange will work fine.

But I'd skip the twin idea and those turbos especially unless we've already talked lol

19. tchargers

But not a dumb ass punk

20. jridenour31

And how exactly was I being a "dumb ass punk?" You rambled on with stupidity and when I asked what Chinese turbos have billet wheels, you're brilliant response was "come to Texas!!! Don't bring a trailer!" Wtf does that even have to do with anything? I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were drunk last night but, based on your response this morning, you really are just a moron. You've obviously been watching street outlaws too much and have a severe case of butthurt. Have fun calling people out just because they know you're stupid. Adios.