1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone Negative Experiences with a PA Valvebody

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by boostedfoxbody, Jun 19, 2005.

1. boostedfoxbody

Well, I decided on running a full manual VB w/ Transbrake for my AODE. I was undecided at first between Lentech & PA. I called Lentech several times and couldn't get a hold of anyone so I purchased a full manual VB from PA...http://www.performanceautomatic.com/valvebodies_aodefullman.htm

I've read some positives and negatives with both companies, but I came across this post about a PA VB and now I'm a little concerned about my new purchase...https://www.theturboforums.com/foru...hreadid=8163&highlight=full manual valve body

I just ordered the VB last night so I can always cancel the order. What do you guys think?

2. zooq

i have a PA VB on my 94 with a C4 trany. it works great.

3. goose

As you read in my previous post I had problems with the original one, but I returned it to get repaired. The one they gave me looked completely different from the one I gave them. I think they figured out the problem and maybe redesigned it.

4. 93GT

I just bought a reverse manual for C4 from them. Mine just looked like a modified stock one, but I hear the ones with transbrakes look completely different. Is that problem only with their AOD valvebodys?

5. twinturbogts

I dont normaly bash on a company, but P/A products are complete a total junk. I as well as many people I know have had nothing but problems with there valvebodys. Mostly the transbrakes were super slow, and when you engaged overdrive they would lock up the rear tires at any speed. This was because they were engaging 4th(OD) before they actualy let go of 3rd gear. Felt like you just hit the ebrake only worse. It always resulted in damage to the trans itself, requiring a full rebuild not including broken parts. My VB had gone back to them 3 times and they still couldnt get it right. When I called Lentech to see what the problem was, the first words outa his mouth was Dont tell me, its a P/A Valvebody. The guy at P/A told me on the phone that one outa evry 10 V/Bs have had problems. I dont see why they dont go back to the drawing board and redesign the things instead of risking the lives of the consumer. Ive also had many emails form people with C4s having similar problems when they upshifted into 3rd. One guy totaled his car becasue of it. My worst case was when I was hitting over 120mph and engaged OD to cruise, ( not under full throttle) and it locked up again. that incedent sent me sliding from one side of the highway to the next almost totaling my car. I took that pos VB out, ordered a Lentech and never had a problem again. When I sent the VB to the guy who designs Art Carrs stuff, he found so many flaws he couldnt understand how the transmission even shifted. Thats more than my 2 cents but I hope it helps.

6. white95v6

i don't know much about there AOD VBs. but i have a PA super comp C4 i my car and know lots of ppl that have them. and we have not have had any problems with the VBs yet. one person did have a few troubles with the life of the C4. but over all i have had very little trouble with them.

7. boostedfoxbody

I'm cancelling my order, and going with a Lentech. Are there Lentech dealers, or do I have to buy directly from Lentech?

8. boostedfoxbody

Well after some thought (5 mins.), I canceled my order for the PA V-body, and placed my order with Lentech. The V-body was about $150 more, but I feel it was a much better purchase...and more safe too!

9. F8LVENM

Good descision....I have a PA built 4r70w I swapped into my '03 Cobra, and Lock-up has never worked right!
    I'm on my 3rd VB, transmission has been rebuilt once....they didn't even have a rubber seal on the fluid filter which caused low apply pressure on the clutch bands resulting in complete, and total loss of 3rd gear and OD. When I first pulled the transmission pan to replace the VB the (1st) time (didn't have OD or lock-up) I was blown away by the fact that the instructions clearly detailed how the solenoids were to be wired, and the stupid FUCKERS didn't even have them wired right! On their Manual VBs OD has (1) 12volt power wire, and 2 grounds.....they had the power wire grounded along with 1 of the grounds, and the other ground to 12volt input.....and the lock-up was not even wired to the correct pinout THEY labled....so it never had power to it! Lock-up lasted 3 days, and the transmission went south 2 weeks later!
    Transmission is back completly rebuilt, and still no lock-up......several other people have said that they got bad lock-up solenoids, and/or they (PA) was using outdated/obsolete parts.
    I have a new lock-up solenoid comming from FORD (at my own expense) and if this doesn't fix it they (PA) WILL refund me for the VB, and I will get a Lentech!

I will never use, or recomend Performance Automatic again!
    They may have the C4, and Powerglide shit figured out, but they don't know SHIT about AODEs!.....damn non-aode educated motherfuckers!

10. boostedfoxbody

:shocked: WOW, I would have been on fire with anger if that shit happened to me!

I'm glad I made the choice to go with the Lentech VB, now let's just hope my AODE will take the abuse :D

11. boostedfoxbody

Well, I just received the Lentech VB. Sure enough either Customs or the UPS BASTARDS mishandled the packaged! :pist: The box, as well as the contents, were drenched in transmission fluid (Lentech pre-test the VB's before they ship). I haven't even taken the VB out of the bubble wrap, but it "looks" to be okay. I wouldn't know until I get it installed and wired up. I talked to Lentech and they were very helpful. They told me if I enconter any problems they will replace the VB. Wish me luck!

Gasket damaged?? :shrug: