1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone measured EGT and backpressure at the turbine inlet on their rear mounts?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Stav, May 12, 2010.

1. Stav

As title really.
    Turbos are spooled by flow, heat, and backpressure, and as flow should be the same, and heat should be less, backpressure should be more for the same amount of spool; but how much less and more? Ive never seen any real answers to this, especially on well designed setups.
    Anyone tested this?
    We know we can make it spool, but if backpressure is going to be a lot more I dont want to do it, but it would help with weight distribution and packaging on something we're working on now. Just dont want to go in to it blindly, were hoping people have been there before and are willing to disclose their findings...

2. mustang65r

running a twin remote mount 393 ci bt on a 65 mustang. well be testing the sys this week .i need to know if the backpressure well give me false readings on a wide band o2. cause im using a n bando2 and just running it at .980v.after reading abought the aem airfuel they say it not good under pressure so must do some testing .well test 6200 rpm. hope to get the temp next . :D but im only running 6psi .10.5.1comp.so at higher boost more pressure in the exh?good post . :2thumbs: this is my first run with remote mounts utube.65 mustang twin turbo 6psi .this car ran 11.80 on motor,now ??man the car is hauling probley low 10.easy. man it just works...plus remote mount much lower intake temps good luck in your build.well let you know when l get some info...

017.JPG #ad

car1new.jpg #ad

3. mustang65r

well after doing some reading and beating the shit out of my motor.this is my thought on this post.trying to use any random info on egt or psi for remote mount is not going to give any useful data... there is just to many things to factor in to the mix. exh style.header or cast iron short tube or long .heat loss in the system. pipe die.turbo size or ar on the exh.cold side running psi. engine size .valve over lap air fuel ra .and im sure there is so much more.all i can say is find the turbo that well work for your air flow per CI. and let the wastgate do its job .testing my temps just was a wast of time.never the same two times .well do some psi tests but thats just to see that not making to much back p at high rpms. i can say is there is problely no two diy rear mounts.with the same numbers .just start fabing one up and run it that never lies. but still good post. :2thumbs: '[ newbe rearmount turbo faber] :welder: and rear mount user..well post the# in a day or two.

4. rdakota340

Any updates on the temps and pressures!

5. guru600

Hey guy's,
    over here on the west coast of Australia I run a 69 Camaro with a very basic 496 bbc, glide, 9" on leaf springs and Caltracs, 275/60 MT radials, the car weighs in about 3750lbs wet, it see's regular street work, runs on pump gas and has been a best of 8.8@165mph with 18lbs of boost...We run twin plain bearing garrett 4202 turbos in the trunk, the hot side is real basic as we use off the shelf 2 1/8" hooker headers into twin 3" back to 1.0 a/r housings, with this deal we logged exhaust presures at the housings of 18psi, our o2 sensor is 6" after the turbine and sees afr's of 10.5- 11-1 and egt's in the headers of around 1650...The cold side feeds into a single 3" pipe through the car and into a Steve Morris hat and 4bl t/body, it's a self built and tuned efi setup that runs an Australian made EMS Stinger 4, the whole setup is super reliable, consistant with the only worrying thing for us at the moment being the .070" over truck block.

We have been playing with this rearmount deal for about 4 years now and have seen it evolve from a single 88 under the car to the twins in the trunk and after a freshen we've just started to see some resonable results... If we can get it to 60ft a little better we may see some better et...would be great to hear from you guy's across the pond as to any ideas or tips on Caltrac tunning, the limit of our poor old block or other rearmount deals and their performance, hope this helps a little...GO the rearmount!!!
    Cheers George.

DSC02561.JPG #ad

20090222-AM1A1423.jpg #ad

normal_20090222-AM1A1428.jpg #ad

6. qwikcorty

what components and compression etc is in the 496? Im building a 454 hz wagon with a rearmount s480 currently.

7. mcx

..on my rear mount Nissan vg30..i've recorded 950 deg F midway between the rear placed turbo and down pipe..no cat and 15psi boost..i fully wrap the hot side piping front to rear!!...i need to rig up a pressure guage to read back pressure...i used a Fluke meter and thermocouple to record the peak temps.

8. guru600

nothing flash brother, a poor old Scat crank thats been through hell (don't let anyone tell you that scat gear isn't up to it!), h beams, racetec flat tops, comp roller turbo grind (off the shelf deal) and off the shelf Edelbrock rectangle performers...All in a .070" tall deck truck block and 18lbs of wind, we have some other stuff to try but it's making ok power now just need to hook him up.

9. mcx

i rigged up a connetion to my hot side to record back pressure...its reading 30psi on the hot side at 13psi...exhaust thermocouple is readindg 1100F...vg30 remote T3 turbo