1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

cam question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by chameleonstang, Oct 8, 2006.

1. chameleonstang

i am going to be running a freshly rebuilt 302 with ported heads. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on a good cam to use. the car is speed density so I don't plan on running a whole lot of boost but i want a descent cam to help with flow. thanks.

2. bdass86coupe

Trick flow stage I or II works good with a turbo or an Fcam works good too if you want to go cutom call Erson and order a cutom grind some thing like 237 intake duration / 231 exh duration .544 lift on bothh sides ground on a 114 lsa they will do it for $275 to your door :D call and talk to Steve Tanzi I think their number is 775-882-1622

3. chameleonstang

will the f cam still be streetable. i am looking to do a lot of street driving with this car and want it to be reliable.

4. bdass86coupe

very streetable

5. mike wilson

+1 on the stage 2, That's exactly the combo Richard Holdener made 362 hp n/a with. He left the factory rev limiter at the factory 6250, and worked great. Approx 550 hp @ 8psi, nothing to sneeze at.

6. svooh

I question whether any of the above-mentioned cams would allow a speed density car to idle very well...unless you're going into the computer?!?

If not, go with one of Crane's PowerMAX Emissions legal cams...There's like 5 of them; one has around .513 lift, another around .529 lift...
    they idle very nicely. And they're cheap.

7. mike wilson

Why would a speed density system care about cam specs? As I understand it the problem with some fi is air going through the ma sensor backwards throws it off. Speed density shouldn't know one way or the other.

8. Bangingears

because it effects the vaccum at idle. The more cam you run, the less vaccum at idle you will have. The SD computer works off a MAP sensor. The less vaccum at idle the car has, the ecu thinks you are actually moving and under load and it will run very rich with the timing curves out of wack also.

9. chameleonstang

which one of cranes power max emissions legal cams would be best for street driveability. I would like to build another motor later that can handle more boost. But for now I just want to get the car running on an affordable budget. A cam is all that i am lacking. Would a stock cam be sufficient or should i go with a better one?

10. trueblue02

i would stay with the stock cam until you get rid of the speed density and better bottom end it will make plenty of power with that cam.