1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

anyone ever have problem with injector drivers with BS3??

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by ONEFASTMF, Nov 13, 2010.

1. ONEFASTMF

I have had two of them go bad on me in the past 3 months :'( , and both times on the #7 cyl. Talked to bs3 and he said, its normally caused by two things, injectors going static or the big stuff box and msd box not both being wired to the battery trems. Wires are all good. the first time on the dyno the injectors went static for 2 pulls before we got it good, drove the car on the trailer and took it home, took it off and the car was running like shit, changed the plugs and found one that looked brand new, checked spark, good, checked power to the inj, no go. shipped back to bs3 and it was bad, they repaired it, and he gave me alittle shit about the inj. going static, but i was just like wtf dude! when i had 42s with stock computer they were static most everytime i drove the car and never had a problem. So got it back, car was all good, drove it for two weeks. Went to the track and adjusted the boost controller a little much and hit 25psi of boost for 3 sec. till the intake pipe blew off, and the injectors went static, but car was fine made 3 more runs with boost in check and was all good. drove the car for 3 more weeks, then one day cars not running good, so i pull the plugs and wtf, same thing :bang: So now i have to call them monday and see what they say. Has anyone had this problem before with bs3???? Or is there something else i can check, all wires in the harness look good. Ready to put a stock computer back on :stupid:

2. svojohn

Yes we also had a problem with injector drivers suddenly going bad. Happened twice within a few weeks. Our problem ended up being the fuel pump voltage. The voltage would drop around 11 volts during WOT and would cause the BS3 to run 100% injector duty cycle. We now have 14 volts at the pump during WOT and haven't had anymore problems with injector drivers failing. Are you above 120 on your fuel map?

3. ONEFASTMF

Im not sure i will have to check the map, i am very new to all this, so dont know how to read or adjust very much, but you say 120 on the fuel map, you mean the area at the top right side were its in wot? right? I dont know the voltage at my pump, but when i check the log the voltage is good, but thats voltage that the bs3 is seeing, were you having over all voltage drop, or just at the pump? Like i said i am very new to the bs3, so be gentle :2thumbs:

4. svojohn

No we didn't have all over voltage drop. The drop was just at the fuel pump. The table I'm referring to is the VE Fuel Table. Do you have values higher than 120 in the upper middle and right hand side? We had values as high as 160 and those same values are now 105 after fixing the voltage problem.

5. BringIt10s

Yep, with my friend's race car we had this happen a couple times. After the second time he had an extra BS3 box in the trailer.
    It wasn't an issue with fuel pump voltage on that car, it had a mechanical pump. Noone ever mentioned anything about the injectors going static would of been nice to know if that was the cause or not, but I don't think so.

6. ONEFASTMF

I checked the map and they are all anywhere from 110 to 119. I was not logging inj. Cycle duty, is there a way to figure it out? I was logging gross inj pw. And base inj. Pw, i thought there was a formula?

7. svojohn

What size injectors do you have?

8. ONEFASTMF

9. ONEFASTMF

10. svojohn

So I'm guessing you need bigger injectors?

11. ONEFASTMF

No, i had fuel press. Set a 40, which will keep my duty% in check as long as boast doest go above 20 psi. So on those runs i made it was ment to be 18, but i didn't have the boost controller set right and it went to 25 psi!!!, that was only one run and checked the log and it was only at 25 psi for 3sec. Before my ic hose blew off. So the runs at 18 were only at 71% duty. So for 3 whole sec. It went static. Talk to big stuff and he said he is going to check it again and if he doesn't find anything obvious he is going to send out a new edu box. So we shall see