1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

what disadvantage would i see going from s475 to any 9xmm turbo?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by 4SFEDZ, Jul 12, 2009.

1. 4SFEDZ

ok im still building my car, its a 385 ltx, th400 w brake, and its a drag car only. my s475 is a t6 with a 1.32 ar. ok im pretty new to this but would there be ANY advantage running the s475 over a bigger mm turbo? the reason im asking is cause there are some killer deals on big turbos on this site!

2. Drac0nic

what kind of power are you looking for? smaller turbo=tighter converter for similar spool, which is a big deal at the top end. Over about 1000hp I would be looking at something bigger than the S400, the 75mm one flows about 100lb/min which is what it's good for.

3. hezekiahmunson

Seems like an S400 should spool sooner than a large frame since the rotating assembly is so much lighter. S400 is alot easier to fit in an engine bay too if that is a problem for you, it was for me I tried to replace my S400 with a PT91 and wound up just sending the S400 to Dave to get the new 88mm wheel put in.

4. BlownShovel

You will break more parts. Seriously.. Make sure the fuel system and drive train is capable of handling the power. Also depends what your ultimate goal is. If a 475 will fit the bill it will save you some $$$ over a 9*