1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

anyone else building a super low budget turbo car?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mike Gager, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Mike Gager

my project is a pretty much ground up start from nothing build. my goal is to run turbocharged (with no nitrous) 10s and my budget is $4000. this is including the car and all parts

anyone else doing something similar? is it posible?

im still in parts collecting mode currently but plan on documenting my progress in the builds section

right now im into the car, an 85 GT, for next to nothing and i have parts i acquired with the car that im going to sell to recoupe some of the cash i did spend. im lucky to have a few parts laying around that will be used on the car that i also have nothing in. i have an 8.8 rear and another stock long block out of an 88 gt that i got a few years ago for $100 and then sold the front bumper cover off of it for $100, so free parts :chacha:

anyways the plan is a blow through set up with flipped bbk shorties, home built hotside and a master power T70 on a stock shortblock with stock exhaust side ported E7s (so basically a stock long block) weiand xcelerator intake and right now im planning on splurging for a CSU carb but i might try my hand at a DIY build first and i got a spectre hat. will back it with a friend built C4 and i might have to spend some on a convertor but hopefully i can find a decent deal. fuel system will be a home built intank pickup to 1/2" line to a boost referenced carter mechanical pump

right now i have pretty much everything but the tubing, flange, wastegate and blow off valve to get started building the turbo system. after the first of the year i will get those parts and then depending on the weather and time i should be able to get started. i have a bunch of other stuff i need to do to the car so not sure where exactly im gonna start

the car itself is a manual window/lock car and ive started stripping the entire car of sound deadener and all unnecessary wiring. the goal is for it to be LIGHT. im hoping for well under 3000lbs with driver (and im a pretty big guy) i got a deal on some centerline convo pro wheels so that helps too

anyways as it stands right now i still need a carb, the tubing, wastegate, bov, transmission, convertor, shifter, transcooler, im sure a bunch of other stuff im forgetting. then of course is the issue of getting the thing to hook. will have to get creative there. so far i have about $1300 into the car including the turbo fuel system msd ignition wheels and the car itself so not to bad.

anyways i figure with the weight low i wont have to make super high hp to get the results im looking for, i figure around 400 rwhp and a lot of traction should do the trick and should be very doable

so anyone else in the same boat?

2. redcam622

a couple of years ago a friend and i built a fairmont. 70 lincoln 460 w/150k...a bus turbo of unknown size and a intercooler from an isuzu truck...blow through of course. after some trial and error and a total investment of about 1500 bucks {most of which was for home depot parts} we ended up w/a 10.90 car that made over 650ft lbs to the wheels at 3k rpm.

3. sean

Been there, and its my daily driver now. Its not a 10 second car though. Pretty much as you describe stock longblock with twin T3's at 10 psi blow-through. Rebuilt engine, transmission (C4), new convertor etc. There is a little more than $4K in it, but a lot of the money went into suspension for handling, bigger brakes and rebuilding the engine and trans. It runs 12.5's @ 113mph just as it is driven on the street, launching with no boost.

I imagine a car built more for drag racing, low 11's or 10's is quite possible with the same drivetrain and more boost. Give the carb a try on your own first. If it doesn't work out, try one of the pro carb builders.

Good luck

4. ralphiejantz

you should contact walt (BlownShovel) on here he has a few blow thru carbs for sale that he just re did that would save you a little cash over the csu piece
    if you find a good deal on a set of turbos you can definately meet the goal and the budget
    its definately gonna take some hunting around for some good used parts though
    good luck

5. Mike Gager

yeah ive seen a few of his that hes advertised so i might hit him up when m ready to buy. biggest thing about getting the CSU carb would be the tech support that comes with it as i know im probably gonna need some tuning help

redcam, what kind of fuel system did you guys have on the fairmont?

id love to see a part/cost breakdown of the car

6. ralphiejantz

yeah Ive heard their tech support is awesome
    but Im sure you could get it going with some help from some of the blow thru guys on this site

7. Mike Gager

i totally agree thats why i was contemplating doing it myself. would save a bunch of cash for other things for sure

8. Scones

i'm still under a grand with my set up, will prolly be looking at 1200 altogether when it's done (not counting cost of car)

9. ZStang

A budget turbo car is fine if you want mediocre i guess ;)

10. 86lxnotch

have have right at 4k into my turbo car including the car. when i dynoed it i made numbers in sig. car is daily driven, i bought ebay gate, i/c, bov. and a masterpower t70. bought a new mightydemon bt carb an a new ev hat as well, all piping is exhuast tubing right now as well. i also rebuilt the current motor and got a custom cam done as well

11. Milner

Mike,

My brother (Injected65) and I are in the very beginning stages of a similar build. Having spare parts laying around makes things a LOT easier on the budget. :chacha:

If you already have the Carter FP...then I guess it's worth a try...but IMHO...I would be to keep an eye out for a used A-1000 or similar fuel pump. If you would like a quote on a JGS Wastegate...let me know.

12. 86lxnotch

do your fuel system simple like i did, gss307-standard 255 intank, goes to the stock fuel filter with a -6an fitting brazed to it, -6an to the reg n the carb, -8an return. i had no signs whatsoever of leaning out even on 12-14 lbs

13. Mike Gager

lol ok....

14. Mike Gager

kind of like redcam above i would love to see a parts/cost breakdown of your set up

15. Boosted351

As far as CSU goes they build some awsome carbs for sure. Their tech support is the best I have ever seen. I bought a carb from Kevin last year and still today I could call him 7 days a week. He helped me one saturday morning get a few minor adjustments in order. The following wed. I called from the dyno, left a message, and he called back 5 minutes later with a cure. If you want a pro built carb CSU or C&S either one are awsome, but honestly for what you are doing I would suggest you build your own carb. There are tons of blow thru guys on this site who have been there and done that and can help you make it right. Good luck on your buildup!

16. 61falconman

"a super low budget turbo car"?????????

You are kidding, right??? :lau: :lh:

Guess it's all relative, but mine will be low budget compared to some of the other TM members' cars. :D

17. Slopoke

It may not be "super" low budget but, I have about $5000 in mine right now,including the car....I have to spend 1000 more to finish it, give or take a couple hundred. Although one thing i don't have the cash for is a good cage. It has taken me almost 2 years to round up all the parts for it, being on such a tight budget. It has all good parts.

95 GT
    '69 357w probe pistons(engine has not been fired)
    brodix heads
    custom cam
    Gt42-74
    Dynamic c4 w/brake
    QA1 k member with stock a arms and springs
    lakewood shocks and struts
    homemade sub frames
    msd 6btm
    greddy BOV
    A1000 fuel system with sumped tank
    centerline warriors 15x4, 15x10 et street radials
    homebuilt turbo kit
    upr uppers and mega bite lowers
    Blownshovel carb, ev hat

I still need an intake, dist, pushrods, wastegate,head studs, and axles. I'm gonna try to have it done by Feb. I should have around $7000 in it with a cage. i'll be spendin a little more than I wanted but I won't be breakin shit all the time, hopefully. Shootin for 9's :2thumbs:

18. Mike Gager

id definetly like to see how much that stuff cost you, sounds like it would cost quite a bit more then what you have listed

19. Slopoke

I bought the whole car for $2000 with no front supension under it and no interior seats. It came with a 347 with the brodix heads and a few other small parts. I bought it from a friend of mine who doesn't know shit and tried to build a race car. He got tired of it and started drinkin all the time(we do not talk on a daily basis anymore because of this) He was also my roomate for a while and never paid rent so take $1000 off the car. I took the heads off and sold the shortblock for $1500. So therefore I basically have nothin in the car(that's the big part). Just have to wait around for the deals when your on a budget, hence why I said took almost 2 years to round up the parts. I see people sellin stuff for good prices all the time. Plus I have offset some of my costs by selling stuff that I had from previous cars, and parts that I have gotten from workin on other peoples stuff. I have done all the work myself, so no labor fees.

95 GT.....-500
    '69 357w probe pistons(engine has not been fired)....1100
    brodix heads...came with car
    custom cam with shortblock
    Gt42-74....600
    Dynamic c4 w/brake...1500...still needs a cooler so add a little
    QA1 k member with stock a arms and springs...k member was on the car
    lakewood shocks and struts...used 120
    homemade sub frames
    msd 6btm....120
    greddy BOV...trade
    A1000 fuel system with sumped tank....150 for pump, traded for aero tank
    centerline warriors 15x4, 15x10 et street radials...850
    homebuilt turbo kit....300
    upr uppers and mega bite lowers....200
    Blownshovel carb, ev hat....350

And I have a couple hundred in miscellaneous parts, but I work at O'reilly's while I'm in school, so I got discounted parts 2.

So basically takin all that, I have right around 5150 in it so far. I got lucky with the car. But still, even if I had paid $2000 for the car, I would only have about $8000 init complete. I hate that I had to spend so much time and work to find all this but hopefully it will be worth it. :2thumbs:

20. SlowJoe

I had some fms shorties i would of threw in for you for 50 bucks. also a crossover you could of just kept.