1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

th400 not working when cold

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by crazychris, Sep 25, 2012.

1. crazychris

I went out today to go for a drive and my transmission didn't want to go into reverse. I haven't driven it in a few day and it has been getting colder outside. It did finally go into reverse it just took a minute for it to go in. I was afraid to drive it so i just shut it off.I took a look under the car and had no leaks and the fluid looks full. The last time i drove it i had no problems. Well i guess that is not totally true.. The hole time i have ran this transmission the pump has made noise like a gear drive in a motor. It is on its second year with me and the previous owner said it has made the noise since he had it as well.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

2. jt351

I realize it is full but first thing to do is just add 2 quarts, don't look at stick just do it, if it goes right in gear, either the stick is wrong or filter is sucking air and not sealed. noisy transmissions make the same growly noise as low power steering cause of air in system.

3. crazychris

Today i over filled the trans and went for a drive. It slowly went into reverse After that it went into drive right away but shifted very lazy from first to second and second to third. After 5 miles of driving i noticed that the trans was shifting normal. It was shifting firm and went into reverse like normal.

So after i drove it for awhile it seemed to warm up the trans and it acted fine. I then went for a drive down the freeway and stood on it and it started slipping in drive.

Even after overfilling the trans the pump still makes noise.

Let me know what you think. Rebuild??

4. Bad Medicine Racing

What fluid? Mine would do that on cooler days with hyguard in it.

5. bluchev

drop the pan, look for debris.

if the pan is full of shit, pull it out and rebuild it

6. TurboComet

If the pump is making noise then you're either pulling air from somewhere on the inlet side of the pump or the pump is eating itself/worn out. The safe money is on pulling the transmission before something breaks and causes more damage. If the pump gears break you're going to damage the pump hub on the torque converter, lose line pressure, and possibly fry some internal components.