1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anybody street driving with an A/W Intercooler?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by procharged 79, Mar 11, 2007.

1. procharged 79

I'm building up a 540 BBC with a F2 and EFI. I installed a PT-1800 for racing but was kicking around the idea of adding an oil cooler to cool down the water while cruising around on the street. It really wouldn't be that big a deal to install one, I just don't know what size/type cooler to install and trying to decide if it's even worth the trouble. Anybody's input is greatly appreciated.

Rob

2. ORANGE88

im planing on running one but i was wondering the same thing. i was told it isent that big of a problem with them getting hot.Im just going to drive mine a bit and if it gets to warm driving around town i was planing on biulding a small radiator for it

3. Leftoverchinese

They do come on Lightnings and 03 cobra's stock. Just FYI

4. Dustin11

If you ran a cooler it would need to have fittings as large as your intercooler which are probably 3/4 pipe thread. If not it will restrict the water flow through the intercooler unless you have a way to bypass the heat exchanger at the track. A transmission cooler would be very restrictive and would need to be bypassed at the track.

I drive mine on short cruises (30 minutes run time at the most due to the fuel getting hot) and the i/c does get warm. I cycle the i/c water pump to keep it cool. The water does get warm but if you get on it on the street it will make so much power you won't be in boost for long so inlet temps shouldn't get high.

5. 64duece

I don't think there's enough fin surface area on the oil cooler to make it efficient. A real heat exhanger is liekly a better solution. One of the methods I thought works well is a dual pump method.

If your resevoir is in the tunk like most, you can mount the exchanger under the rear of the car with fans. A single Bosch pump circulates the water through the exchanger and resevoir only whenever the car is running (no ice). This keeps the water as cool as it can be in the resevoir. The second pump is your current intercooler pump. You can trigger this one based on TPS say 30%. This will then cycle the resevoir water through the I/C. When the system returns back under 30% TPS, you revert back to cooling the resevoir water. I think this is the best solution for heat soaking the entire system. HTH

6. MIGHTYMOUSE

i run this here on the street, no problems, really like it. and i just run the pump when i plan on beating on it. these parts are from Turbo Technology

7. ORANGE88

WHAT LITTLE RADIATOR IS THAT? ANY INFO ON IT :D

8. thesled

trans cooler or an oil cooler.

9. KLRS10

10. procharged 79

That is a damn good idea right there!!

Thanks to all for your input.

Rob

11. nova

i guess it depends why you want the intercooler for street driving, is it because you think your going to be on the max edge of detonation? or you want the low iat's for more power? i just drained my system when i drove it on the street, i dont think you'll need ANY more HP an a/w can provide with a F-2 540 on the street it will be tractionless enough imo :2thumbs:

12. procharged 79

Good point

13. TurboTPI

A radiator from a 4 wheeler would work well too for a heat exchanger. A yamaha YFZ 450 radiator is perfect.

14. Dart_388

What ive heard is to just run it when the water is hot thenwhen your off boost the ambient air will cool the water if it is above ambient.
    I havent had my water get that hot yet so we will see this year. I usually start out with ice in it anyways.

15. Proaction14

x2

But if you have the money and is something you just got to have I say do it up. I honestly cant see how the cost and HP benefit would be worth on the street.

16. vwdave

VW Jetta VR6 has a small radiator off to the side that works very well. You can probably get it for $40 from a junkyard.

17. 427

I use a small intercooler radiator mounted in the trunk and ducted out behind the gas tank for stealth type use, it has two 6 inch spal fans wired into a sensor on the tank, at 100F it kicks the cooler fans on. My circulation pump comes on anytime my primary fuel pump is on. My intercooler pump does come on as mentioned earlier based on TPS, it is also wired with my second fuel pump.
    I also run my return fuel into a B&M trans cooler that is sunk into my water tank to keep my fuel cool on long cruises.
    This system has worked well on long trips with a full throttle blast thrown in once in awhile for fun.

Kurt

18. vwdave

What are the pros/cons between a A2A and a A2W?