1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anybody running a mass air with megasquirt

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Boosted306, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Boosted306

Any of you guys add a blow through mass air for your turbo set up. Was thinking about getting one of the hpxs or a prom mass air. Seems like tuning it would be a lot easier and better for driveability reasons.

2. Disney Lincoln

Get it going on the SD first. If you feel you are missing something you can add the MAF later. i'd say 99% of users never feel the need. The MS SD logic is not like the old EEC-IV SD computer. MS SD drives really good once it's dialed in.

fastspec2 likes this.
  3. fastspec2

Disney is right.
    I see no reason to run a maf based algo unless you are running some type of variable cam or VGT setup. (Think Kpro variable cam or the VGT DIYEFI alfa codes from a few years ago) But thats me. A good maf setup still needs an accurate ve table for transient fueling. So you might as well just rock SD and not have the pressure drop or the maf slew. That all said I have made a few MS setups run fine on MAF. but I would not call it "easier" by any stretch of the imagination or more consistent.

4. ashford

the biggest i would ever go is what a stock lightning maf can handle. the big aftermarket slot mafs from my experience get really wonky in the lower air flow portion of them, specifically they go off calibration quite badly as body temps get above 150*. a stock slot in a 4" tube worked very well on my coyote na, it wasnt enough when i added a blower, so i went with an hpx, it worked quite well till it hit summer temps then my idle fueling was upto 20% off depending on if i was going down the highway or in city trafic. i ended up switching to speed density.

i also had the same headache with a pro-m on a stock eec-4 on a turboed 4.6. i could watch the fuel trims climb from -10% to 25% just idling for 5 min. in the driveway and watch them come back down by cooling off the sensor itself with some water.

unless you have a gnarly cam that gets idle air above about 7-10g/s i wouldnt bother. below that its horrible to tune with temp

5. Boosted306

The cam in my car only produces 10 inches of vacuum at idle which is why i was thinking about mass air. I have also read about alpha n tuning which uses the throttle position and rpm. The car isnt gonna be race car, shit theres not even a race track in this state to begin with. I built the car for the purpose of driving around and beating the hell out of it every once in a while with the ac on. The cam is a n41 cam that i had laying around from a old build that has a 110 lsa. Thinking i should of left the stock cam in this thing lol it would of been easier

6. Disney Lincoln

Yeah, I would 100% get it going on the SD. As long as you're not trying to idle it down to 650 to shake the curbs, it will idle fine with the N41. I'd bump idle to 1100 or so to start. It'll still be choppy there.