1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anybody run a T56 or TKO with BIG power???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by nitrorocket, Dec 28, 2006.

1. nitrorocket

I am contemplating on possibly switching my T400 for a T56 or TKO trans. I have 1000 hp and 800 ftlb of torque but I only run low profile 17" tires. The car does a 1.6 60' and weighs 3600 lbs without driver.

Reason I am thinking about this is for the extra gears for top speed and driveability on the road track and standing mile challanges I would like to do next year.

Any experience? I am trying to find out from those with similar setups what there pro's and con's are.

Thanks for any info.

2. mootang

wolvorine and and a few others are running G Force T56's with 1000 hp +

i know there are many out there pushing the tko's with big hp too but from it seems like the G Force T56 is they way to go for reliability. they are expensive though.

do a search and you will find all the answers you need.

3. rickyhaiber

For what you want to do with the car (having a good topend at really high speeds) the T56 from G-Force will probably bwe the most reliable and best application.

Pros- you most likely won't break the trans and it will definately have a great top end with it

Cons- clutches will be expensive

4. redcam622

Lentech AODE w/pushbutton od..put 1200 through it...

5. sss510

6. nitrorocket

HAS ANYONE HAD ONE FAIL ON THEM??

7. rickyhaiber

What I would like to know is what the limit really is on the regular old cobra t56 if you only run street tires (no slicks or hard launches)? Anyone have an idea?

8. rtz

I don't think it can break if you can't get the traction to put enough load on it to break it. I think what breaks most manual transmissions is the high rpm clutch dumps on the line using slicks. The shock load must be enormous.

9. sss510

I had the transmission upgraded after over 200 hard drag launches on slicks.With 535 rwh on a 98 Camero transmission the trans still worked fine, but I was told that the transmission was at it`s limits.

10. rickyhaiber

Yeah, I might just upgrade my input shaft on the trans along with a clutch and that should be good enough for now...isn't that really the biggest difference in strength between the Viper T56 and the Cobra T56?

11. sss510

From what I understand the gears are basically the same,.On the Viper trans the input ,main, counter and output shafts are much stronger with better syncros and stronger shift forks.In my case I was distorting the input and main shafts and wearing the hardening off them.First and second gear ratios were changed to help the smaller motor get off the line,my stock syncros and shift forks were fine.But, were upgraded as my rebuilder had a RSG 750 hp kit that was purchased by another customer(I won`t go into the details but, it involved a telephone pole) and I coundn`t be happier with the transmission.You can purchace just an upgraded input shaft from RSG and it`s worth an email or a phone call to 10000 rpm for clutch options.

12. t66turbocobra

these are the specs for the T-56

standard T-56 - 2.97/2.07/1.43/1.00/.80/.62

Viper - 2.66/1.78/1.30/1.00/.74/.50