1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What HP would you trust these rods to?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Twin Turbo Skylark, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Twin Turbo Skylark

I am looking to use these rods in my Buick 350 that I expect to make about 1000 HP with 355 Cubes and twin turbos.... I like them because they are about 3/4" longer than stock, and use a Buick bearing, and this will leave me with a nice short Diamond Piston that has to be custom ordered anyway..

Would you trust these rods at 1000 HP? I plan to dyno it on high boost then turn it down to about 650 HP to stay reliable and stay above the 10.00 limit I have for the quarter mile. The car already runs 10.15 in the quarter with a mild engine and stock rods but it will not be reliable I do not think, hence building the new engine.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sca-6700a/overview/

2. H.P.Ranch

Just wondering why you would want to put a big ol heavy rod in with a piston with no skirt? I would rather have a piston with a thick deck and a normal length skirt and aftermarket rods of 6.385. with big bore for better breathing. jmo. Them rods gotta weigh a ton, thought was aluminum weighs less than steel. Plus you gotta think about dwell time also.

3. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks for the input... I have a nice engine here with aftermarket i beam rods and stock spec diamond pistons (30 over) and i am sure it will be reliable in the 600 hp range but i want to build a more sturdy engine with a block girdle, king billet crank etc... I
    Am trying to use an an aftermarket rod that is off the shelf so that other people can re-create the engine easily... These are the only rods that i can find that will work without being custom...

I am writing a book about sbb performance so this is a research and testibg project...

4. H.P.Ranch

I would watch my rod to cam clearance, good luck with your book.

5. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks and yes it is very tight so we are degreeing the cam and mocking up the rods on the crank to see if they clear... Not much room to stroke it so using the factory stroke....

Thanks again for the input i appreciate it