1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Any tuning options on 98 2.5L ranger?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by twin74s, Aug 2, 2009.

1. twin74s

Is there any kind of software system that i can do some tuning on a 98 2.5 4 cylinder ranger?

Thanks for the help as always.

2. Matt Cramer

The dual plug DIS setup is a bit weird, but can be handled with most standalone systems. It's a fairly straightforward one to deal with using MegaSquirt, and a couple other of the popular ECUs can be set up for this engine. What is your budget like? Any specific features you need? Does it have a manual transmission? These questions will help narrow down which one is right for you.

3. twin74s

It is a manual. Cheap would be great.

Whats my options?

4. Matt Cramer

I see somebody else replied about ECU hacks in the sport compact forum. With MegaSquirt, you'd be looking at around $375 or so if working from a build it yourself MS1 kit, up to somewhere in the $750 range if you bought an assembled MS2 and added a bunch of options to it. Plus you'll want to budget around $200-300 for a wideband sensor no matter what tuning device you go with.

5. twin74s

Ive got a fast and a AEM wideband setup.

I was kinda hoping the stock ECU was tuneable?

6. bags50lx

you should be able to tune it with a sct chip.