1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Any tips on fixing an V band leak?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Twin Turbo Skylark, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Twin Turbo Skylark

A friend of mine is building a single turbo (truck mounted setup) for his 72 Skylark and he is having trouble sealing up the V band flange from his turbo to the pipe to the muffler as you can see here... I was thinking there must be a paste or something he could add to help seal it up???

muffler2.JPG #ad

2. half-fast

file the flange flat then use some copper high temp rtv and it will never leak

3. cat herder

Wheel bearing grease, the old tan colored non-synthetic kind.

4. half-fast

whats that do? just turn into like a carbon seal?

5. cat herder

Yup, works great and doesn't burn out/turn to powder like RTV can.

6. half-fast

cool never heard of that before might give it a try

7. PrecisionTurboMustang

I've seen copper gaskets somewhere to help a warped Vband seal.

8. Twin Turbo Skylark

Any more tips???

9. ashford

if the clamp has been on and off a pile of times it can get stretched out. if you have a small vise it can be squished back together.

10. M&M Turbochargers

i think alot of people get carried away and over tighten the v-band clamps,,, i just use a nut driver (u know the screwdriver lookin thing with the socket on the end) and hand tighten them and it has worked good for us so far,, just my 2cents

11. XBRED1

X2

12. 99fiveoh

Thanks for that tip, I'd have never guessed you could use bearing grease as an exhaust sealer. Good to know for when I do my turbo build soon.