1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can a Hobbs switch be mounted to the vacuum tree?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mtrain, Aug 6, 2011.

1. mtrain

I have a line from under the carb in the intake manifold that runs to the vacuum tree.

Question is can I just thread the Hobbs switch there, or does the boost need to come from the hat directly?

2. blown385

Depends on what pressure you want the Hobbs to see . The hat can be 3 to 6 psi higher than manifold .

What does the Hobbs trigger .

3. mtrain

Intercooler fans are the intercooler located behind the cab of my truck.

4. blown385

ahhhh yea , I remember .

I still say run them all the time . Heat sink will be your enemy .

5. mtrain

You don't think that the drain on the alt would be too much with two cooling fans at the intercooler, and one big one at the rad?

The alt is rated at 167 amps at 6k rpm.

6. blown385

As long as everything is wired properly , I think it will be fine . unless the fans draw like 50 amps or something . Plus I " THINK " when you look at the rated amp draw on fans , thats at start up only .

What fans are you going to use ?

7. blown385

Are you cutting a hole in the bed , flat mounting it , and pulling air through it with the fans ?

Any pics ?

8. mtrain

If I finish cutting the aluminum brackets, and get them painted tomorrow, I'll post pics.

The fans are 12" that are sold by O'Reily's. I had one extra so I just bought another since two of those will cover both the AC condenser, and intercooler, both.

The whole setup is welded to the frame, at almost a 45 deg angle towards the cab. I plan/hope to be able to have the bed raise like a hood so that I can work on it easy in the future.

9. mtrain

Sorry, but no pics today. My mother is down for a visit yesterday. She, and my wife went to a local cruise with my wife driving her Paxton blown 65 Mustang fb.

Anyway, earlier this week I took off the small {but fitting into the small space between the rad and waterpump pulley} 12" electric fan, and installed the thick 16" Black Magic fan that I originally had on the front of the rad {didn't work that way, ended up being more of a restriction}.

Well, I tried to get wifey to do a test drive around the neighborhood to see if everything was ok, she didn't.

So after about 30 minutes after they left for the cruise, my wife called to tell me that the temp gauge was showing 220 deg :eek:.

I told her to wait until it was cooled all the way down, and check the water level, and check for leaks.

Anyway, remember the part about that fan being used first as a "pusher", well it still was. I had to change the wires, and got it going fine, but I ended up driving it around for a good bit of time today so I didn't get to work on my project.

10. mtrain

Finally finished it today. Here is the pic.........Oh, and I mounted the Hobbs switch into the carb hat.

[​IMG]#ad

11. blown385

Very nice work . :2thumbs: