1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Diagram/schematic of wastegate on cold side?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by TurboComet, Aug 5, 2011.

1. TurboComet

I've read all the previous posts on the installation and function of a wastegate on the cold side to help improve spool characteristics while staging, but does anybody have a diagram or schematic of this installation? I understand how the system works, but I'm trying to help one of my customers overseas understand this system and a diagram/schematic would be very helpful for him. If anybody has any decent pictures that they didn't mind sharing that would be great also. I contacted Precision Turbo and they informed me that they do not have any information on this system. Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Pete

2. 10secgoal

On a blower car or turbo ? Auto or stick ?

You said spool. so assuming turbo. But, wastegates on the cold sides are usually for blower guys who over pulley their system to get the boost curve to come in sooner, and then bleed off the rest to "only" hit their target boost. A turbo with an auto you don't use one. Some will use one, or a two stage BOV like what JGS makes. They will hang it open while revving in nuetral and them slam it shut for instant boost. Any of this sound familiar ?

3. furchaser

4. TurboComet

This is intended for a turbocharged 4-cylinder Focus with a 74mm turbo. The car has been converted to RWD with a G-Force 4-speed and a 9" rear axle. My customer would like to improve spool characteristics at the starting line and wanted to know if this type of system would prove advantageous for his application.

5. furchaser

Never mind .. sorry to interrupt. :2thumbs:

6. 10secgoal

Does the car have a stand alone or a two step of any fashion ? He could wire up an anti lag (ALS). As long as he has something to drop spark he should be able to do it.

This is rich and dropping spark, stock timing.

Or he can use a BOV. Hang it open with CO2 and rev it up. Lets the impellar get up to speed and the slam it shut. Creates instant boost. Hard on a turbo as well, but I think ALS is easier to tune and control.

7. furchaser

^^^ Put some more fuel in that bitch.... lol