1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

called procharger today

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by onefastermonte85, Jun 5, 2007.

1. onefastermonte85

i called procharger trying to get a bypass valve flange.. ya 48 bucks wtfff.. i said i'm not paying that i'll cut the old pipe apart. forget that.

anyhow i was telling him i dont like the air to air 3'' intercooler, he basically said they only get bigger, he talked about cutting the inner fenders out, and letting air out etc.. eh how much does a intercooler really help anyhow???????

he said air going through the carb cools the air charge about 100 degree's. he said alcohol injection cools it down only 45 degree's i said wtf.. 45 degree's...
    he said not to use nitrious unless you want to blow it up.

so i'm kinda in la la land here .. i have this intercooler only good to 950 hp.. i wanna make more power then that.. but i can't fit it on my car without blockin the rad.. and procharger is saying .. basically i'm not going to get where i want with 93 octane and alcohol.

2. blown385

. I went through this same dilema , and talked to lots of people about this . I talked to Procharger , NX , Nitrous Works , NOS ,The Carb Shop, and they said nothing about blowing up my motor .

Nitrous is no different than adding boost . As long as you add the right amount of fuel . Most of the guys I spoke with said just a 50 or 75 shot would be no problem . And with the N2O the intercooler rating of 925 means nothing . The N2O dosn't care .

Dont get me wrong Nitrous can kill motors if its not used correctly ,but so can boost. The Carb Shop told me , most of the carbs they get back from nitrous use is from backfires . They said running nitrous when the throttle blades are not fully opened is one of the main causes of this . ( pedaling ) .

Call the guys at NX were the most informative about this .

I still want to do it , but my son keeps talking me out of it . Saying I need to try to make it with boost . He says nitrous is cheating. But isnt anything other than N/A . ;)

3. OLDHEAD

I have more then a 100 runs using nitrous using 5 different blowers(B&M 144,162 and a 250,also a Weiand871 and now a Vortech YSI) I hit as much as 250 hp on a 600 rpm idle with a Vacuum opening 750 (read;carb not open all the way)PEOPLE SHOULD NOT GIVE ADVICE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOUR TALKING ABOUT<THAT GOES FOR PROCHARGER TOO...... :) :) :) :)OLDHEAD>>>BEEN THERE DONE THAT

4. onefastermonte85

i agree.. the guy wasn't very optimistic at all.. had a very low rating while talking.. talked bad about everything lol. but..

heres why i said maybe n20 would be the way to get me in the mid 9's..

no intercooler
    93 octane
    alcohol injection
    carb 1'' spacer..
    1'' bonnet spacer
    bonnet gutted no divider.
    830 cfm hp series carb
    i'm going to just put 1 front tube extension in it.

i'm going to go to the dyno sat. were going to get it rich, and then tune on it from there.. get it to where i can make the most power on 93 octane.

then before.. i go to milan ohio for pinks all out.
    i wanted to see where i can gain the most power.
    if i go to 6000 is where i'm going to only rev it initially..
    ..... if i stay at 6k, and put a 100 shot.. this would save detonation but am i going to need race gas?
    ....... if i say fawk n20 and rev it to 6500 and make more boost.. i'm worried the 93 and alcohol wont be enough.

... big worry like i said in my other post
    how does alcohol and n20 with 93 octane work together????? those are 3 diff substances.. all in 1

5. blown385

So I guess your saying it didnt " blow it up " . I was wanting to use it so I wouldnt have to spin my blower to the max . I could keep it conservative on the street with 13 psi of boost . Then , at the track , hit it with alittle spray .

What do you think the Carb Shop meant about the throttle blades . They must be talking about getting out of the throttle while still on the nitrous . I've always used a WOT switch so I've never worried about that . I ran nitrous for only about a year but have never had a back fire .

6. onefastermonte85

a wet kit would be needed correct for a 100 shot..
    i wanted to go to 6k rev and throw a 100 shot to save the blower/motor.. but n20 beats the shyt outta ur motor.. ... so reving to 6500 would i have more detonation probs with 93 vs's runnin 100 and going to 6k???

7. blown385

I'm told to use a carb plate . Get fuel from a boost ref . regulator . Most people say using the calibration cards that come with the plates will be on the fat side ( good to start like that anyway )

I solved my pump gas problems by running a seperate fuel cell for race gas only . When I go to the track I just switch tanks and take less timing out . Then when I leave the track I switch tanks and go back to a pump gas freindly 24 degrees timing .

Seems to work .

I wouldnt run the nitrous on pump gas .

8. onefastermonte85

separate tanks???

what i talked to a buddy today about was... for street driving get it dyno tunned and be done with it conservative..

then he said to get a 55 gallon drum of 114 octane.. and mix it when i go to the track a 50/50 mix and then i can give it a little bit of timing back. which might allow me to gain some more hp??
    how does that sound???

n20 is scary .. i do fear it seeing all the bad thing sand what it does to a motor but i've also seen awesome things for instance the intial tq from em would def get me outta the whole in a timely manner

9. blown385

Yea , I run a 5 gal cell in the bed of my truck with race gas . I have valves that I can switch from either tank .

Im running 12 to 13 psi boost

I'm using an Accell programable box . When I get to the track I set it for .5 degree per pound , giving me about 30 degrees on race gas . ( 100 octaine )

When I'm on the street I run the stock tank with 93 octaine pulling 1 degree per pound , giving me 24 degrees.

Check out the difference : 100 octaine 30 degrees = 11.1 at 124mph
    93 0ctaine 24 degrees = 11.6 at 118mph

10. Dans SS

ditch the intercooler i will take it off your hands =) how much you want for it and the tubing???

Dan

11. sprayit67

listen everyone has there opinion on intercooled or not.the bottom line is w/o a intercoller yo will have high air intake temps.make the intercooler work it is the most ifficiant way.trust me i just melted my motor trying to stay not intercooled.is it worth blowing up your motor????jay

12. OLDHEAD

I too, have 2 gas tanks a 7 & a 17 gallon,I had them about 10 years,Now I run my SBC-400 alot harder then you guys run your engines..Let me tell you why I have nitrous...I don't want brakeage and I have been using the same set of J&E piston since april 04,I street drive this car as much as 4000 miles a year and make as many as 150 runs a year...My 80 Malibu weights 3525 with me.I
    live on SS checks so I can't afford any breakdowns...Heres why I have 2 power adders..I drive this car everywhere even on long trips getting 11.5 niles per gallon,I have a mild cam 248-260 at .050,the comp.ratio is 7.90 and I can run 87 oct.gas on trips.I bought a street blower (Vortech YSI)because I wanted a blower warranty,I have yet to run the redline on the blower's rpm limit .the car turns 9.30s at 145-149mph.with only 1.52 in 60....I have a very tight street convertor and no trans brake,I come off at 600 rpm. and there is no boost till about 60 ft.Now If I run it with a 50 hp.shot it goes 8.96-8.98 at 151 but the 60s are 1.36,using a 150 shot gives me more 8.70s at as high as 157 and 60s 1.30...I have a new pulley for the crank it's a 77 and a second Cheater plate to try soon....Have fun :) :) :) :)OLDHEAD

13. onefastermonte85

well i like the intercooler procharged67 has now.. it doesn't look as big as mine..currently

i might end up cutting a pipe to get my BOV off.. other then that i might sell the whole system powerder coated..
    not sure what its worth

if i get another intercooler it'll be something that can hold over 1100 hp..

i like the two gas tank idea.. 1/2 second is allot

i ran last yr with the intercooler 10.50 with a 3850lb car 133mph.. with 12#'s of boost.. junk motor..

this motor is pissed off i want 9's bad on 93 octane.. not many guys can say hey i run mid 9's on pump gas?????

14. blown385

OLDHEAD ,

Thats exactly why I was thinking of running nitrous . I'm running 12-13 psi of boost , seems to be very streetable . I can blow the tires off at will . I dont need any thing more for street use . My truck is driven EVERY day. Its already got 1000 miles on it since my last oil change about a month ago !

So if I just need the extra power at the track ONLY, nitrous seems like the way to go .

On the other hand should I trust my Procharger and pulley it to 62000 rpm ? They're not cheep . The smaller pulley has got to shorten the life span of the blower .

If I run Nitrous and leave the blower the way it is , It just makes sense that its gonna be easyer on the blower . Plus I could probably make more power with the nitrous than adding 5 psi of boost . And I wouldnt have to make expensive up grades like bigger intercooler and Race By-pass valve . Not to mention Pulley and belt .

I would imagine that even a 75 shot would make more power and torque than 5 psi more boost . ( I dont know )
    OLDHEAD's 3525lb car gained almost 2 tenths on the 60ft with only a 50 shot . :chacha: Thats what I'm talkin about !

PS..... I've already got all the nitrous stuff from my old set up . :D

onefastermonte85 ,

Man that sucks you cant get that intercooler to work for you . :( They're so fucking expensive (Procharger intercoolers )
    I hope you can get some money back on it . Are you thinking of going with another Procharger intercooler ?

15. onefastermonte85

NOOOO. MORE PROCHARGER anything..

i spent 1k to fix the fawkin f1r because of it eating pulleys..
    spent like 1k on that intercooler and now i can't use it :(...... i dont know i need it sold maybe i'll use that $$ to get nitrious.

16. Dans SS

how much you want for that intercooler and stuff you want to sell it and i may want to buy it.

Dan

17. onefastermonte85

the thing is i yanked it off a few days ago. i haven't even thought a bout what its worth or what not.. let me do a little research i'll know for sure what i'm doing after saturday thats my dyno day and then i can clean up everything and take pics of whats left etc..

what kinda car do u have?

18. Dans SS

86 Monte Carlo SS if its reasonable i will take it.

Dan

19. onefastermonte85

your air box you gotta cut the side for the intercooler piping to get in there.. other then that its pretty easy shyt i had the entire thing off and on in like 1 hr.

let me see what happens sat.. then i'll take pics of the stuff