1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Any electrical changes when going from stick to auto?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by il_wolf_li, Jun 15, 2003.

1. il_wolf_li

I went out of town to a race and a guy I had met before was there with his stang and we got to talking and he has a built C4 with a 10" Continental 4000stall for sale. Anyways we are working something out with a trade for my T5, KC clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, cable and adjuster. He said he put it in his car and it slowed down big time because he has a 5-speed computer in it.

Do I need to do a computer swap or anything else electrical when going from my T5 to this C4? Also, he mentioned something about a motor block or a motor plate that needs to go onto it to space the trany back the right distance, the T5 doesnt need this though?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. BigDog-Racin

i dunno what that guy was tellin you, i could understand if you were goin to an AOD or AODE trans but a C4, c'mon this guy was lost. we've swap from a t-5 to a c4 and vice versa and the only electrical thing we had to deal with is the reverse lite switch but who knows i could be wrong. just mt $.02

sammy

3. Snipe656

You shouldn't be wrong, there should be no worries when switching.

4. il_wolf_li

Alright thats good about the electrical, what about the motor plate he mentioned to space the trany back?

Brian

5. Turbostangman

I had to cut a wire on the TFI Module to get it to start. Plus I ran into a problem, the speedo cable was too short.

You will have to wire in a manual nuetral safety switch. C-4s don't have them on the transmission.

I wired mine as a ground for a relay trigger on the strter solenoid Ign Start wire.

6. Enginerd

I just swapped my stock T5 for a C4 this spring. No problem at all with the 5-speed computer and C4. You do have to do a little electrical work in order to get past the neutral safety switch, but it's no big deal. If you don't set up the switch, the car won't start. It's like trying to start your T5 car without pushing in the clutch.

As far as the "motor plate", what the guy is talking about is a flat steel plate that goes between the back of the block and the bellhousing. This plate is a spacer that keeps the proper clearance between the torque converter and the front pump in the transmission. If the converter is tight up against the pump, it will ruin the pump (and trans). Some people do not need this plate, as their bellhousing may be a little deeper. Other people need one. Still other people, like me, needed two plates (also known as block plates or dust plates) in order to get the proper spacing.

Rob

7. qtrmilperf

Hey guys

Theres nothing electronically controlled on a T-5 or C4. I can understand about the nuetral safety switch.

T-5 is manually shifted and the C4 is vacuum operated. I don't think that the ecm is recieving any inputs from these particular transmissions. Now an AODE is another story.

Correct me if I'm wrong though

Rob1

8. il_wolf_li

Alright, sounds good, so get the neutral safety switch fixed and the dust plate or motor plate in there. Sounds like a plan, just gotta decide if I wanna do the trade or not.

Brian

9. Turbostangman

You should have the plate on there already. You just use the old one.

It also serves to shim the starter.