1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Any 2007 tahoe owners in here??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by PEARL MUSSIN, Jan 11, 2013.

1. PEARL MUSSIN

I am looking at trading in our 2007 GMC Acadia in for a 2007 Tahoe. Both vehicles are top of the line, the tahoe has about 20,000 more miles though
    (92,000) It has a spotless carfax with the only thing done at the delarships are oil changes and brakes. How well are the tahoes built?? Motors (5.3l vortec V8), transmissions, 4WD??? I mainly want this to tow my mustang once in a great while to the track as my Acadia only has a 3.6l V6. Are they sound vehicles that last forever as I have been told????

Thanks
    Jeremy

2. stangman9897

A guy that works for me bought his wife an 2008 Tahoe and she likes it and it drives & rides nice but the mileage sucks , i think he said she get's 12mpg around town. Someone hit her 2 years ago and it spent a month in the body shop waiting on body parts that were not to be found anywhere local. Hers is a 2wd.

3. jaquetapus

From what I've seen come through our doors, they're solid trucks. We've got a customer with 230k on his, original engine/trans, pretty reliable still. I think we've done some wheel bearings and tie rods and such. Typical GM stuff. Seems the interior and stuff will wear out before the big stuff does.

-dave

4. ewoogy

Only real common things that we replaced on that body/engine were water pumps, oil pan gaskets, front wheel bearing hub, 4 wheel drive switch and a few parts inside the transmission that are notorious for going bad on those older 4L60E's. I worked on them everyday when I still was working at a Chevy dealer. Besides the few problems they all had they were good vehicles.

5. gotageta5oh

Those bearing hubs can be a MF'er up here in the land of snow and salt. Last one I had to work on took a 20ton press and a torch to get it out.

My boss has one. Only real complaint he has is fuel mileage. He figured he averages about 10mpg with it.

6. SlowJoe

window motors go out occasionally and heater vent door actuator just went out.

7. PEARL MUSSIN

I passed on the Tahoe.. Just too many miles.

Jeremy

8. PrecisionTurboMustang

Any problems with the Acadia? My wife loves her 08, only minor issues with it so far.

9. PEARL MUSSIN

I had a few problems when I bought it but they were covered under warranty (timming chains replaced). I love it, It rides nice and has every option available except nav. I knocked down 22mpg on my recent trip to minneapolis,mn (650miles). Probably gonna keep it She absolutely loves it and so does my son especially with the rear DVD.

Jeremy

10. PEARL MUSSIN

Well on second thought I went ahead and picked up the Tahoe Today.. After seeing it on the dealer lot for another 3 weeks I went in and played hard ball and did very well.. Drove it all day today in the snow, LOVE it... 4x4 is nice, rides like a dream, love having another V8 AWD. I also own a 2002 mountaineer v8AWD. Ill take some pics tomorrow. This thing was top of the line $40,000+ new. Basically traded them straight up and knocked $25 off of my monthly payment.

Jeremy

11. PEARL MUSSIN

Snapped a few pics.. I love the gold mist, its dirty but you can hardly tell. This thing is CLEAN inside and out!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Jeremy

12. jaquetapus

Nice choice, man! Looks great! Now throw a pair of eBay twins at it and make like 650hp to the tires like denmah!

13. gearheads78

On the Tahoe we are seeing a lot of cam / lifter failures on the AFM motors and some oil consumption issues do to stuck rings but not as common.

The Acadias most common big problem is stretched timing chain (requires motor removal) and trans failures because of failed 3-5-R wave plate. I after working for Lexus several years and now A GM dealer for the last 3 I can tell you it does not matter the manufacture. Its all junk. Parts are farmed out the the lowest bidder and its usually China. Get a good extended service contract or be prepared to spend some money when they break.

14. PrecisionTurboMustang

My Acadia water pump shit the bed. How can I get them to check the timing chains while its still warrantied. Its a 08 with 80k also have a popping noise in the steering

15. gearheads78

It will make a check engine light for a cam actuator that will come back even after the solenoid is replaced. The have timing chains long enough to wrap around a car damn near.

16. PEARL MUSSIN

When I had my Acadia I had to replace the waterpump, new PS rack, first timming cover was leaking, then 6 months later the timming chains needed replaced (had to drop the motor for both) Alternator went out, front swaybar link was busted, CD player quit working?? All of this was fixed under waranty and didnt cost me a penny. I started to see all kinds of trans failures because of the busted waveplate. Car ran great and I loved it, but this Tahoe is head and shoulders above the Acadia.