1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Another "can't find the part I'm looking for" question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by JohnSpo1, Apr 30, 2020.

1. JohnSpo1

Ok, I've spent the better part of today pouring through online pages looking for this item. The only place I have sourced it is at a company in Europe called DO88. So before I go that route I'll humbly ask here, Does anyone know where to source a 2.5" cobra head 90? I've almost every size except 2.5". I guess one option would be to go with a 3" part and use a set of internal reduces, but that really is not the way I want to go. So how about it, Does anyone know of a source, or at least has used DO88 and can vouch for them.

2. Disney Lincoln

Got a pic of the application?

3. KEVINS

Dumb Question to follow: What is a "2.5" cobra head 90"

ks

4. JohnSpo1

Here is a pic of the part, I want to use this from the charge exit of the turbo, I've got a llittle bit of a tight fit and this would make the installation cleaner. I suppose I could use a reg 90 and just trim it back enough to allow the clamp the work, but that is second choice. Another option would be to have a 90 degree exit welded to the housing, can this be done?

cobra 90.jpg #ad

5. JohnSpo1

Picture posted above.

6. Mnlx

Its pretty common to weld a tight radius elbow to the turbo.

Pro-SC and Disney Lincoln like this.
  7. Disney Lincoln

That's what i'm thinking. Cut the straight outlet off and weld a 90 on it. I did that on the 79 to fit the 78mm on it. Looked pretty good!

8. Pro-SC

That’s what I would do, if I could weld!

9. JohnSpo1

Ok Guys, it's decided and pipe is ordered. Going to weld a cast 90 onto the turbo housing. Since I am doing this should I also look to mount the BOV's as close as possible to the turbos?

10. Disney Lincoln

Careful, you might open up a can of worms! There are two camps on bov placement; pre-ic and as close to TB as possible.
    I like mine pre-IC, but I've never done a race car type 30psi build.

JohnSpo1 likes this.
  11. JohnSpo1

I've been reading up, every expert in print as well as internet experts have a different opinion. For a 15 psi build I'm not sure it matters much... the search continues... My ignorant school of thought is that the BOV is mostly there to prevent a backflow of boost into the compressor when the throttle plates close. I would need to see significant dyno data comparing placement in various positions to prove either theory. My experience tells me it would be better to ensure a proper (largest possible) size BOV. In my experience in the radiation industry when we have a fault shutdown (avoiding "emergency" all air systems are dumped at the control panels or main feed. With sufficient size valve and pipes the dump is almost instantaneous, and the POU could be several hundred feet away.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Disney Lincoln likes this.
  12. Mnlx

With a correctly sized bov I don't think it matters much. If I had doubts I would choose pre ic, close to the turbo.