1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

American Turbo Power

Discussion in 'Turbo Motorcycles, Turbo Carts and other small engine turbos' started by hdbldr55, Aug 31, 2016.

1. hdbldr55

Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a bike in my shop,its a Dyna Glide with a turbo from American Turbo Power.My question is,where can I get parts for this? The company seems to be out of business,I need a boost controller for it.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. M&M Turbochargers

could you use a manual boost controller??

3. TURBO-D MIKE

Seems like most of the Harley guys use the Turbosmart Boost T.

4. hdbldr55

Never used one,this one looks like it was vacumn operated, I want use
    something user friendly for the customer. I'm gonna post a pick of it later on when I get home from work.

5. hdbldr55

Never used one of those,will it work with this setup? There is no installation info anywhere for this setup,it looks they ground off the serial# for this turbo so I can't even tell who made it. He went out of business and all the info went with it.

6. M&M Turbochargers

7. hdbldr55

I like it! I will call the customer tomorrow and let him know there's hope! So this set up will replace what I have in the picture here? KIMG0507.jpeg #ad

KIMG0507.jpeg #ad

8. Mnlx

That is actually the wastegate actuator, which is very different. There are some universal units out there that would most likely work with a bit of fab, or you may be able to find a replacement with some turbo info. What's the issue with the current actuator?

9. hdbldr55

Maybe I'm wrong isn't that controlling the boost? Starting the bike up there is no boost at idle and at higher rpm,it doesn't want to idle,It has a mikuni carb on it,which I have completely rebuilt,I have no info on this turbo at all,he bought the bike used and I can find no imformation at all anywhere for this. So I assumed that thru watching the actuator arm not moving I'm having a boost problem.I wish I had more info on it.

10. hdbldr55

This is the setup I am dealing with.If anybody has any info on this I would appreciate it.Thanks to all the help so far,I have no idea what I have here. KIMG0508.jpeg #ad

KIMG0508.jpeg #ad

11. Mnlx

It does control boost, it should be spring loaded in the closed position, and opens with boost. A few simple checks will go a long way in troubleshooting the issue. Is there spring tension on it if you try to pull out on the rod? Is there some tension on it when its installed? If yes, then its initially good. If it's good, and still doesn't make boost, you'll probably want to check the turbo for other issues. Its a good idea to check the lever, and wastegate "puck" for issues (can be seen if down pipe is removed).

12. M&M Turbochargers

is this an 88 inch?

13. ivanhoew

that wastegate you showed us should be bolted to the turbo under those two bolts that are half undone ,and the rod goes to the arm on the turbine housing ,holding it shut ,with a half a hole pre load .(sorry if you know all this :))

14. hdbldr55

KIMG0511.jpeg #ad
    Hi Mike the numbers are ground off I think American Turbo did this. In that picture is the only place I think you can have the serial#s...that's been part of the problem I don't know who makes this unit.

KIMG0511.jpeg #ad

15. hdbldr55

I just checked the tension,if I pull the arm out it will retract back, sounds like there is a diaphragm in there also.So when its installed it is pulling the wastegate lever forward,he had someone else trying to adjust it so I don't know where the original positon of it should be.

16. hdbldr55

I think so the bike is a 03 it has screaming eagle heads on it,I found out yesterday from the owner he bought new from a dealer with the turbo already installed.I was going to call them and see if they might have any info still on it.I don't think they would after all this time but I'm gonna call and see.

17. hdbldr55

That seems to be part of the problem no matter where that adjustment is it seems to have the same amount of tension on the wastegate lever....and I appreciate the input,that why I'm on here,most turbos I have installed over the years have been fairly easy installs never had any major issues except for carb jetting,Im never run into a problem like this before and I'm not familiar with this companys setup.

18. Mnlx

It should pull the arm towards the actuator, and typically it should be about a half to one hole short of just slipping on for an initial adjustment. It needs to be pulling on the arm at rest. There is a diaphragm in there, it won't stop it from making boost, but will overboost if its leaking. If there is tension on the wastegate lever and it still doesn't make boost (under load), the condition of the turbo, or possibly a boost leak would be the next step, along with bench testing the actuator to confirm the opening pressure.

19. hdbldr55

Could I use a vacumn pump for this,and if so how how much vacumn should it read? I adjusted the arm also,it could have had to much tension on it.

20. Mnlx

It will need pressure to test it. Its boost referenced, and should start to push the rod out at a certain psi (~6-7 psi?) Too much tension would cause it to overboost, so that shouldn't cause a no boost issue.