1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Crossover diameter.

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by 2slowchevelle427, Mar 8, 2013.

1. 2slowchevelle427

Hey fellas. I have a 76mm on3 charger with a t4 turbine and a .91 a/r. My engine is a completely stock 5.0 minus an e cam and some stiff comp valve springs. My question is, if I did a 2" crossover instead of 2.5, would that hurt me? I figure the turbine will still be the restriction. I will be running 12 psi and it has stock e7te heads. I will never turn it above 5800-6000 rpm. Advice would be GREATLY appreciated....I will not try to argue either I just need a few educated opinions. I want to try to make spool time less

2. Gen1SVE

2" will work just fine for your application and you are correct it will help you spool, just keep it 2" all the way to the turbine housing. Don't worry about matching the pipe to the opening of the turbine housing, keep it the same diameter as your crossover. So a 2" pipe will feed the turbine housing. it does not need to be a smooth transition as the the gasses are going "with the flow".

3. 2slowchevelle427

Perfect...that's what I'll do. I only want 450 wheel max. I don't think that the engine will make enough steam to hurt anything as far as power goes at that rpm.

4. testchimp

I have a stock 5.0 with lightly ported gt40p heads, stock 1993 cobra cam and a holset hx52 with 2.25" crossover and it spools real nice and makes approx 500hp with 10psi. It also revs to approx 6,000 then stops making power.

Just figured i would throw that out there for you.

5. 2slowchevelle427

Update on the car, I built it with a 2.0" crossover and made the hotside equal lengths on both banks to the charger. It has a unique sound and even with the .91 a/r it spools in 2nd by 3600. Brake boosting it spools at 3200!