1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Am I blowing through my converter? (MOVE THIS TO OTHER TECH QUESTIONS)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by duplox, Nov 30, 2006.

1. duplox

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: Sorry wrong forum.

I've never had this problem since I've never owned a car with enough power to even come close to this. I just test drove my car with a video camera mounted on the rollbar(I call it the poor man's datalog). Its hard to read the guages but you can easily see my tach. As soon as I hit the throttle it jumps to around 5000-5500 and sits there, even after I shift into third. 5500 is my redline, and I have my rev limiter set to 4500 for break in, so either my tach is wrong or my limiter isn't working. My converter is supposed to stall at 3500, its a custom built TCT converter for a turbo street car. I told them 550hp, 550tq. That is probably more than my motor is making.
    Another possibility is I'm just smoking the tires, I can't tell because all you can hear in the car is the engine. I have never heard tire squeal in the car but the drive-by video has some tire squeal in it.
    Here is some video

This one is a pull from second into third, you can hear the shift. At the end of the pull I'm going maybe 50, 55mph, with the tach at 5500rpm - so that is my top speed!? It does not look like tirespin because the speedo isn't showing 130mph, heck it doesn't show over 60mph. Its almost 100mph off the theoretical top speed, based on my gear ratios! I'm guessing something in my trans is slipping bad. Maybe I should change the fluid and see if its burnt.

Any suggestions? What does it sound like? To me it sounds like a high-stall powerglide car. I'm thinking its either burning the clutches or blowing through the converter. Maybe I should run it a few more times and change the fluid, if its burnt its the clutches and if its clean its blowing through the converter, right?

And yes, I know I have the squeakiest car ever. Its like driving a 30 year old mattress.

2. Mike Gager

so in high gear at say 35-40 mph if you blip the throttle the rpms go up to 5500?

is the tach just jumping or does the engine sound as if its actually going that high? i cant tell from your vid

3. stanggod

:agree:
    Can't really tell anything from that video

4. duplox

Sorry, you tube hurts the quality of the video. I think my 3rd gear clutches or valve body might be damaged. I've been watching the video over and over trying to figure out what is going on. It appears the video started right as I was shifting into 3rd(high gear, c4 trans). You can hear the RPM drop a bit. On the original video, not the you-tube version, you can see the boost guage jump right before I shift, its a new motor and I'm short shifting around 5k. Redline is around 5750 or maybe 6k, depending on how well my springs keep the valves from floating. Well anyways I shift into 3rd at 5000rpm, and the tach drops maybe a couple hundred rpm then climbs to 5500 and I get out of the throttle. I'm going to take a better video once I get another nice day. I think I'll add some lucas no-slip and see if that helps, then if not maybe some 10w30 mobil 1 or Hy-Gard.