1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Am i at my stock gen 1 limit? please reply i dont want to have a big mess.

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Mattsv8_03, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Mattsv8_03

Guys i know this is a common subject. but i need to see how close i am to some major breakage.l
    the motor is a stock gm 350 block 2 bolt converted to billett steel splayed caps with arp bolts and studs.
    its .035 over. eagle 3.5" stroke eagle 6" l19 rods and je pistons with je rings low tension.
    It made 768hp and 689 ft lbs. on a wheel dyno. its in my s10 in my avitar. and has went 9.19 at 147mph.
    on the dyno it showed really lean im on e85 and was a 12.2 on the gas scale.
    it has a bit of blow by after a pass. but is fine on start up. so im looking into a vacume pump, and belt drive fuel
    pump to replace the a1000. it has a csu 850 carb.
    do you think it is ok to keep running with it like it is? im also adding a liquid to air intercooler.
    i want it to run 8.50s. so i will need more power but i may get it just from the added fuel and a intercooler.
    or should i go through the expense and hassel of a little m 400 motor i added up the parts to arround 8500. to do
    the new motor. only problem is it will take a year or so to do. :)

2. slow67

Why not do both? keep racing it, but maybe just be careful, while also building the new motor?

3. Mattsv8_03

I have the dart little m block and some small odds and ends. so i could continue on building the 400 base motor.
    what is most upsetting is the dart little m is 2300, and the engine shop wants 850 do do all the work to make it ready to build.
    so just over 3000 in the block. plus i still have to get the cage work done for my 8.50 cert, belt drive fuel pump, i alredy ordered the mounts for it and drive setup
    and liquid to air intercooler setup to build. and a powerglide to build. I wish i made more money!

4. turboboy4548

Check out the grenade he ran low nines with a stock bottom end. Cast pistons cast crank stock rods. Its all in the tune.

5. Mattsv8_03

ive already ran 9.19 on pump e85. but im shooting for 8.50s. actually 8.0s to 8.20s cause i wana run a 8.50 class

6. 10secgoal

Kevlar lined diaper and have at it. :2thumbs:

7. blue t

I am doing the same thing you are but I pulled the engine and sold the parts out of it to help fund the new engine. I am building the same thing you are dart block and yes my machine shop said it needed to be decked.

8. Mattsv8_03

im just swapping. dart said it needs nothing if looking for a std deck height wich i am. most are ran at a 9.000 dh so would need decked.
    others say the surface on some is not good enough for mls gaskets and should be decked. still a toss up