1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

aluminum hard line with e85

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by mnmkiv, Oct 7, 2009.

1. mnmkiv

i have heard conflicting reports as to weather e85 is really corrosive to aluminum? i like the idea of using the 5/8 hard line (cleaner look, cost)
    your thoughts?? this would be used with a efi car so i could see psi as high as 80psi
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. MONTEGOD7SS

I have wondered this as well, since ethanol and methanol are not the same thing. I have never seen anodize hard fuel line for this kind of application either.

3. mnmkiv

well i think i am going to buy a gallon of e85 and put a 6 inch piece of 1/2 hard line i have laying around, in the jug sealed up over the winter and report back in the spring as to how it holds up... not exactly the ideal test but oh well...

4. slow8.0

good idea!

5. TexasTwins

I've read that the problem with E85 and AL is because the ethanol sucks up water and that is what causes the problem.

6. flybynight

I can let you know this weekend after I flush my system. Been running e85 all summer and its been sitting for a couple weeks now. Im going to look things over and put super unleaded in it for the winter and fire it off. Im running 5/8 feed and return in aluminum also efi.

7. dwrlhc

This has been done. A year or two ago I worked graveyards, and was able to read through nearly every post on this forum reguarding the matter. I concluded my own ideas based on everyones combined experiances. I determined that it would do just fine, given you drive your car(west coast). Personally, if my car were to sit i would run gasoline through it first.(cant believe im saying this) I remember seeing some cobweb looking corrosion on one member's float bowls. Thats about it. keep fresh fuel in it. thats the key with any fuels/corrosion.

8. mnmkiv

cool let me know your findings.

9. flybynight

I didnt see any corrosion in my lines or rails. Last time I started it was Sept 13th so it had been sitting a long time. Im still going to change the oil.

10. mnmkiv

cool thank you. i have also noticed a lot of guys running e85 with aluminum fuel cells. i think i am going to go for it and just inspect the line every couple of months

11. flybynight

I was worried about the foam in my cell having ran gas in it first but no problems. I had a hard time making up my mind to go that route but I couldnt be happier. Now if only I didnt have to drive 60 miles round trip to get it. I just fill a 55 gallon drum.

12. mnmkiv

i have half a dozen just on my way to town :2thumbs: but we only get summer blend e85 2 months out of the year :'( so my car will be tuned on e70 but still waaayyy better than 91 :chacha:

13. TexasTwins

Be careful E85 will be lean on a E70 tune.

14. mnmkiv

indeed. i am going to ask my tuner as to whats the best way to deal with that...maybe fill the tank with 10 gallons of e85 and 2-3 gallons of 91 :huh:

15. mandrelbends

Why not use stainless hardlines. Better corrosion resistance, and you can use the same hand tools to bend them.

16. brianj5600

I looked a little for .625" stainless tubbing and most was for 3000psi or more hydraulic line. What wall in stainless would be good for fuel line? Price per foot?

17. mandrelbends

We bend 5/8" 0.049 all the time for aircraft apps. I would think you wouldn't want to go under that size wall thickness or you might have kinking issues. The stuff is like $3-4 a foot when you buy 20 feet typically.

18. alain

Any news on the "test"? I have been doing my own test over the past 2 months now. I put some in a glass jar and put a piece of aluminum line, stainless steel, rubber hose (with ss braid) and mild steel in it. This way I can also see if there is also a galvanic corrosion being started. So far there's nothing to be seen. All materials are looking perfectly normal.

19. wild84

Another thing to think about is the pressure. I'm running that aluminum line in my 77 (on pump gas) and it is only rated to 25psi.

20. littlebluefoxbody

We have run alum lines and tanks for years with akly and ZERO issues. I hate that crap on a roll soft alum.

I like the 6061, Wall Thickness 0.065", Inside Diameter 0.495". It will require a good bender and AN nuts and Sleeves but the stuff is great and strong.