1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Alternator Relocation

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by squincey, Nov 22, 2007.

1. squincey

I'm about to build a turbo kit for my father's mustang and am gather parts currently. I'm comnig from a 2002 subaru WRX so i'm not too well versed in the pulley system of the fox body.

On that note, I am planning on removing the A/C as the knobs on the interior to control it don't work anyways and I would like to move the alternator to where the A/C is located (above power steering). I can fabricate a brackets, so I am not worried about that aspect, but is it possible? Or do I need a free-spinning dummy pulley over where the alternator is currently to keep the belt path the same to keep belt tension on what I believe is the water pump? Thanks for your help and let me know if I need to clarify my question further.

kacy

2. rtz

3. squincey

I'm talking about(in this picture) the small black pulley directly below the blue coolant/radiator hose, between the alternator and power steering pullies. Isn't that the water pump or am I mistaken? Thanks for your help.
    [​IMG]#ad

4. squincey

On second thought from looking at it, is the small black pulley just a belt tensioner?

5. rtz

It's just the belt tensioner. If you don't have any accessories on the passenger side, you could get away with not using it. Or if you want the auto tension feature of it, relocate it over the water pump and rotate it so it pushes up or towards the passenger side instead of down. It will be clear once you start messing with it.

6. squincey

cool, thanks for your help