1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Who's got just breathers and who's got a EVAC pump?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mnm99, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mnm99

Just throwing it out there. I'm planning a EVAC setup and was wondering how many of you have just breathers and no problems with oil spilling out and leaks?

2. kyle.t91

IV got breathers but have one hooked to the air filter on the turbo so its always in a vacuum. Seems to be working ok.

3. one eyed willy

i have a pump, from a camaro, 1 hose on each valve cover, going to a catch can and 1 hose from the catch can going to the pump, activated on a hobbs switch

4. botietr

i just put a pump on mine . i was having oil coming out the dipstick and getting on the headers.at the end of the run people would think the motor blew.i just had a catch tank with lines running from the valve covers before.i wasn't thinking with my dipstick..lol

5. NWJason

Where can a guy find a pump setup? I hear the camaro pump is a diy junk yard deal, but whats the pump part number?

6. yellowpony

I just use the moroso catch tank with breather on one valve cover. Never had any issues with 24psi boost!

Anthony

7. 86turboGT

I was pushing oil out the dip stick as well under boost with a breather in one and a pcv in the other. Swithed to a breather in one and the other evacuated to the exhaust. No problems now. (dont get any smoke out the exhaust either)

8. mnm99

9. mnm99

10. stangman9897

If you haven't bought it yet i have a GM pump you can have for the shipping cost, got it out of a junk yard for 45.00 but then my tuner gave me the Cobra pump and i went with it.

11. wantabe

just be carefull with the oem engine vacum pumps,
    most of them have a carbon vane...and that gets sicky with oil...then doesnot work, then does, then doesnot.. etc..

12. mnm99

I got a pump already, Thanks anyway. Why did you go with the cobra over the GM? I have a GM. It pulls 3.5" at 12V. I didn't get to try it at the 14.2 my car makes, but I'm sure it will be around 4". I'm pretty sure the Cobra pulls 4"

13. stangman9897

Because they don't make quite as much noise as the gm and it a FORD. lol

Plus my car is a 98 Cobra so why not use the one that came on it from the factory.

14. mnm99

:2thumbs:

15. mnm99

So I have 2 setups I'm thinking of. The first one is making it hard for me due to space. The second one I'm leaning toward. Because of the space and the amount it will really be running. My plan is to have it come on ONLY in boost. Also I'm only going to push 4-5lbs. With the filter that should separate the oil I may be good. Worse case I hide a small can somewhere.

evac.jpg #ad

evac 1.JPG #ad

16. 302f150

I have one big edelbrock breather cap in the factory oil fill hole, and then the PCV valve is hooked up to a water/oil seperator to catch oil vapor and then it just dumps... I am still kicking around an EVAC pump, but no problems with smoke or blowing out even when I ran 15psi once....

17. john01374

18. stangman9897

That i couldn't do, that means your sucking crankcase vapors through the turbo which in my mind can't be good for the turbo and building up in the IC over time and pluging it up. I have seen people that put a meth nozzle in front of the turbo hell thats spraying water in the turbo. Not this boy.

19. drag lc

i the engine before the one im building now i fitted a moroso vac pump and was pulling 13/14" vac at wot unfortunatly due to some internal issues we never did get the full potential out of that engine but i used tseal steel gapless top low tension oil rings aswell. when i pulled this engine down to find out why it didnt go aswell as planned all the full floaters on the small ends were fine. :2thumbs: