1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Billet or cast

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by The ace, Feb 1, 2013.

1. The ace

Getting ready to buy a s480 but is it worth spending the extra$ for the race cover and billet wheel, thanks

2. M&M Turbochargers

maybe you should get the billet wheel now and just buy the race cover down the road,, i think the cover is just a bolt on deal

3. blown385

If you have the money , go for it . The billet wheel and race cover might be worth as much or even more than 150hp compared to the cast / standard cover . Billet wheel will spool quicker too .

That said , I have a standard cover , cast wheel on mine with a 1.10ar / 87mm . 4450lbs runs 146mph on a 383sbc .

Still a great turbo without the bells and whistles .

Check out the numbers on FIs .......... S400SX-80 ET-R HO Billet **

http://www.forcedinductions.com/productsborgwarner.htm

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. spoolin turbo

I remember reading/seeing that one manufacturer the billet wheel flowed less than the cast wheel. Might have been bullseye, but check the compressor maps.

5. The ace

thanks guys i went with the cast.

6. otrtruckpro

Unless your a racer and need every 1/10 of a HP no. Race covers and billet look real pretty at the Saturday night car show. But do little to nothing at the Friday night heads-up grunge races.
    If your in the unlimited diesel were they run 150psi/boost or more the billet wheels shine because of their strength. But in the Gasoline,at less than 40psi motors your just paying for bling/bling. IMO

7. blown385

Well I'm running gas at 22psi and I could use the bling .

a matter of fact , when I upgrade turbos , I'm going with an S480 1.32/96 with billet wheel and race cover . Sticking with the 80mm BW but should make close to 200 more hp .

billet wheels are also lighter . They will spool quicker on the street .

8. blown385

Thats the Batmo wheel from Bullseye . Not the same as the billet wheel .

They have a new billet wheel out also .

9. otrtruckpro

No they are not lighter. Billet is more of a dense material then cast. they are much heavier than cast. Put them on a scale. The big promotion of billet wheel is that they can make the hub smaller and lengthen the blades a little to flow more air

10. blown385

But the billet 80mm has 7 blades not 8 like the cast . I was told its a lighter wheel .

11. otrtruckpro

less blades, less air flow. Chop a blade off your cooling fan and see how much cooler your engine runs

12. blown385

not necessarily

13. otrtruckpro

Look at all the new design turbos from BW, Garrett, Precision, Turbonetics, etc, you see any "less" blades. All are moving more air with more blades at a smaller wheel. Just like your cell phone technology advances. Your not holding a phone the size of a cement block in your hands are you?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  14. blown385

From Bullseyes web site :

" Made of high quality billet aluminum and machined to the tightest tolerances, these compressor wheels are the best in the business. They are lighter, stronger, quicker spooling and higher flow than the standard cast wheels. " ( 1.25oz lighter )

Its got less blades than the 80mm cast .

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  15. blown385

But this is what Jose told me when I asked about the S480 billet .

16. 99TTGT

x2.....

17. otrtruckpro

150 HP in the land of OZ maybe. Somebody needs to put down the Wonderland Juice. If 150HP was that easy there would only be 1 turbocharger manufacturer

18. The ace

well in my simple minded little bean i would think that the billet is lighter also maybe we should get one of these turbo builders to chime in but im gonna email chris and see what he says.